Help

Gifted Education

Twice Exceptional Lesson Plan

>

firstfun

Twice Exceptional Lesson Plan
Old 04-12-2010, 04:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I need to present a lesson plan with modifications and accomodations for a twice exceptional student. I teach first grade and am having trouble coming up with a creative lesson that could meet the needs of a gifted student but also designed to help the disability. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

firstfun is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

what...
Old 04-12-2010, 08:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

are the content area and the disability? Or is this just an "in general" kind of thing for a presentation? And if it's an "in general" - does it have to be first grade? Or can it be any grade?
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

firstfun1

Old 04-12-2010, 01:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

its just a general lesson plan, can be any grade. It just needs to show how it could meet the needs of a gifted child with any disability that I identify. I was thinking some sort of reading lesson with a more challenging text and higher level thinking questions, but if they child had a reading disability modifying it to accomodate those needs as well, but I'm having a hard time coming up with much more than that!
firstfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

Books on tape
Old 04-12-2010, 01:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

One accommodation for GT kids with reading disabilities is to use books on tape. If the book isn't available on tape, you could record it, or have a parent record it for you.

The other thing my daughter used for reading were color overlays, she has SSS (Irlen Syndrome) (www.irlen.com).

You also could add that the questioning would be done orally, to be sure the student understands the question...

The thing to ask yourself is "how would I accommodate for any child in my classroom with this disability?" The challenge is to up the level of the lesson in addition to modification. I think your idea of higher reading level, critical thinking questions, etc. are the right way to go, and then just how can you accommodate that?

You could also modify the assessment method - instead of just "questioning" you could have the child illustrate, act out the story, retell the story, etc. for younger kids. Older students could create a new ending for the story and then compare and contrast their ending to the actual ending and tell why they chose to make the changes they did.

I'm just rambling and thinking off the top of my head, so hope this helps some...
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote