Help

Fifth Grade

Teaching 5th grade or not?

>

annie13

Teaching 5th grade or not?
Old 04-17-2010, 11:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a primary teacher who is considering moving up to 5th. Why? I'd like to have more stimulating conversations with students and I'd like a new challenge. Literacy would be easy for me although the rest would be learning for me but the team would help, I am sure. Also, grading more papers and taking state assessments doesn't sound fun.
Could you tell me the best and worst of teaching 5th grade...

annie13 is offline   Reply With Quote

LindyJo

Best and worst
Old 04-17-2010, 09:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm in my 4th year with 5th grade.

Best - they can do so much! Primary teachers are always amazed when they come in my room because each student has a job (such as putting up the daily calendar, taking lunch count, or checking in HW) and they can DO IT, for the most part. In our district our curriculum is the best too... we teach Revolutionary War, which is a phenomenal unit to teach, and other very interesting topics too.

Worst - This is when the hormones really start coming out. Especially 2nd semester, be ready for caddy girl problems. Second is parents who baby their kids and don't want to make them responsible for things.
LindyJo is offline   Reply With Quote

AnEagerReader

Old 04-17-2010, 09:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I enjoy teaching 5th grade. I can get into deeper discussions with them since they are older, and can give them more challenging lessons and projects.

I agree, though, with Lindy in that the hormones do start kicking in (especially after Christmas break!). You start dealing with attitudes a bit at this age.
AnEagerReader is offline   Reply With Quote

Jvada31

Love fifth
Old 04-18-2010, 08:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This is my first year in fifth (I had a long-term in 5th and in 1st) and I wouldn't change a thing. My wish would be that I could stay in 5th grade for the rest of my teaching career but I know that's not always possible! What I will say about 5th is that it's a lot of work at home with the grading and everything, but they are so independent with the class jobs like the posts above said. I have teachers who are amazed as well about how much responsibility I give my kids, with checking homework, checking to make sure assignment books were signed, filling mailboxes/friday folders, etc.

Good luck!
Jvada31 is offline   Reply With Quote

doodle730

pros/cons of 5th grade
Old 04-18-2010, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This is my first year in 5th after teaching 3rd. Overall, I love it. Not so much lately, but overall

Pro:
  • independence...they can do SO much more by themselves than primary kids can
  • they "get" your humor
  • the curriculum (in my opinion) is much more interesting
Cons:
  • attitudes, attitudes, attitudes...I've noticed this much more 2nd semester...with the hormones kicking in, some days they're pretty hard to love!

doodle730 is offline   Reply With Quote

curlygirl2

Love 5th
Old 04-20-2010, 08:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am in year 10 of 5th grade and have to say I wouldn't have it any other way... That rhymes

Anyway:

PROS: They are independent, self-directed, overall very curious, but still want to please their teacher. They get excited over little things, love projects, are motivated to do well.

CONS: Those lazy kids who as the work becomes harder, they put in less effort. It's sad to see. Lots of correcting and staying on top of homework and grades. Organization can be tough for these kids, but having a system that really works is key.

I can't say enough about these kids. They are like my second family!
curlygirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote