Help

Fifth Grade

Cooperative Learning Accountability

>

poodles

Cooperative Learning Accountability
Old 04-21-2010, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi! Could you please share your routines for holding everyone in a group accountable and for how you assess individuals during group work? Thank you so much!!!

poodles is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 04-22-2010, 04:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have kids grade each member of their groups based on a rubric and average the grades. It holds everyone accountable, it's interesting to read what they have to say and it puts them in my shoes. Also, I already have an idea of what they're going to say based on my observations as I walk around.

Here's an example of one I had my kids fill out (please keep in mind it was for 3rd graders AND it was my first year teaching )
Attached Files
File Type: doc Group Evaluation.doc (21.5 KB, 106 views)
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

JoSo

Accountability
Old 04-22-2010, 06:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

i do things very similar. I have them fill out check lists about their group. I also will have them write in different colours so I know who was paricipating. Sometimes they all have different roles in the group and are assessed on that role. Hope this helps.
JoSo is offline   Reply With Quote

teach93

group accountability
Old 04-25-2010, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I actually don't really grade my kids on their cooperative groups unless it is a major project. Before each Science and Social Studies test we play "around the tables." I group the kids and then they select their leader. The leader must confer with all group members before answering my questions. All other groups must be quiet. Each correct question scores a point.

I monitor my cooperative read aloud groups much more intensely. This has been a different year for me in that I have about 8 very shy readers (one who will break out into hives frequently if forced to read to the whole group.) I put them in groups of about 4 and keep rotating groups so they aren't always together. They then read the story to each other as I monitor and sit in with each group. This has really brought my shy readers along. The one with the hives doesn't participate as much as the others, but her mother says that we have made great progess.
teach93 is offline   Reply With Quote

poodles

thanks!
Old 05-01-2010, 09:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you for all the suggestions - I will try each one out

poodles is offline   Reply With Quote