Help

Fifth Grade

Read Aloud- girls only!

>

spx5thgrade

Read Aloud- girls only!
Old 04-22-2010, 10:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My 5th graders are about to be split up into groups- boy/girl for sex ed. ;-) :-) I already know what I'll be doing with my rowdy, rambunctious boys. I'm at a loss as to what to read with my girls. Any awesome suggestions? Do you ever read grown-up books aloud to the kids? Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks!

spx5thgrade is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 04-22-2010, 10:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

"Emma Jean Lazarus Fell Out of A Tree" is a wonderful, award winning book about a girl adjusting to 6th grade. Also, Judy Blume, "Are you There God? It's Me, Margaret?" is great, but I'm not sure I would do that as a read aloud due to the content (at least, not without parental consent).

Just out of curiosity, what are you doing for the boys?

I'm not sure I would read grown up books. There's a reason they're for grown-ups and not kids.

Good luck with sex ed--we are starting that soon too, but we have a doctor come in and talk to the boys and the nurse talks to the girls. We just supervise!
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

spx5thgrade

Emma Jean...
Old 04-22-2010, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Oooh, I will have to look into Emma Jean- I had not heard of it!

With the boys I am doing a read aloud of Harris and Me by Gary Paulsen. I know my teaching brethren on here probably would not approve, but I love, love, love it, and I will edit out some of it. I have a VERY rambunctious group of boys this year and they will like it a lot, and I need SOMETHING to keep them entertained.

Thanks for your help. Do you do anything in particular with read alouds?

spx5thgrade

Greyhound..
Old 04-22-2010, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

By the way, my poor coworker (religion teacher- I teach in Catholic school) has to do the sex ed. Phew!

GreyhoundGirl

Old 04-22-2010, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I LOVE Harris and Me! Read it to my 5th graders a few years ago. They especially liked the part where he peed on the electric fence (once I explained it). I did heavily edit some of the swear words. I was just talking it up to some colleagues.

Again, I can't tell you how much I Emma Jean.

GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

pvs2013

Old 04-29-2010, 08:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm reading Are You There God? with my girls (I did check for parental approval first)... and its boy counterpart, Then Again, Maybe I Won't (also by Judy Blume) with my boys. Both groups love it (although they pretend not to because some parts are "gross", they always beg me to keep reading!) We've had some interesting discussions based off it.
pvs2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jenn81

I am Ice Worm
Old 05-02-2010, 04:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I Am the Ice Worm by MaryAnn Easley

This book is sort of a girls' version of Gary Paulsen's classic Hatchet. In both stories, a teenage character is stranded in the wilderness following a plane crash. In I Am the Ice Worm, 14-year-old Allison is rescued from the Alaskan wild by an Inupiat trapper, who takes her to his village to stay until she can be reunited with her mother. Allison's upbringing in an upper-class family in southern California certainly didn't prepare her for this icy adventure, but she turns out to have courage and adaptability that she didn't expect. Though Allison may initially seem too "girly" for boy readers, this novel has a great blend of adventure, wilderness and family matters that will captivate boys and girls alike.127 pages
Jenn81 is offline   Reply With Quote