Help

Fifth Grade

Daily Checking/Grading Math homework?

>

thaibuckeye

Daily Checking/Grading Math homework?
Old 04-13-2010, 03:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am still finding it difficult in knowing how to go over math homework assigned the previous day. I want to get an assessment on whether or not they grasped the concept, yet I can't spend half of my teaching block going over it. I teach a few 5th grade classes Math back to back, so I have to stay within 40 minutes. Any suggestions on how to manage checking, reviewing, possibly grading, and teaching & practicing a new lesson in 40 minutes?

thaibuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote

MrTall

Old 04-13-2010, 08:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What our teacher does here, not that I am a fan of it at all, is go through and have the students make corrections on their own paper. Apparently she can get through their 30 problems worth of assignments in as little as 10-15 minutes. I find it a little hard to believe, but that's just what she does.
Another option, one that my 9th grade teacher used to do quite often...he would just ask us which questions gave us the most problems. If there were no questions, etc...we just moved right along. On the other hand, he would collect homework and scan through it to make sure we were getting the answers that we were supposed to be getting. Of course, when I was in 9th grade, we had 85 minutes for our block...not 40.
Hopefully this helps...even just a little bit...
MrTall is offline   Reply With Quote

rebeccav

Old 04-13-2010, 10:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Have them circle 5-8 problems that you choose based on what you are looking for. Grade those problems only and it will give you and the kids a quick look at what they know and don't.
rebeccav is offline   Reply With Quote

JoSo

Old 04-15-2010, 07:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

first of all Math shouldn't be taught in 40minutes in my opinion. I know that there are time constraints but you should see if you can do it for a longer block. As for the homework, I like the idea that you chose three or four of the problems that really focus on the concepts that you are trying to teach. That way you know if they understood it or not. What I do for homework is send math games home and then they journal about them. This way they are practising concepts and there is a good home piece to deliever. Hope that helps.
JoSo is offline   Reply With Quote

pmpkin2

Old 04-17-2010, 05:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I struggled with this also. I have them spend 5 minutes checking answers with a partner. I go over any problems that the students got different answers for or had trouble with. If I know my lesson is going to be challenging that day, I have them circle the problems they needed help on and I collect it for going over the next day.
I have an hour for math and I can barely get it all done! 40 minutes must be tough.

pmpkin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

janiebird19

Old 04-17-2010, 07:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

What has worked for me is to have students keep their homework out as they complete a math warm-up. As they are working, I walk around and check for completeness and look for items/problems that are incorrect, then address areas that need reteaching following the solution of the warm-up.

Homework is not a grade and is only for practice. Be sure you aren't assigning too many problems... I can tell who has it and who needs more help in a short amount of time if there are 10 problems or so.
janiebird19 is offline   Reply With Quote

hoku625

math homework
Old 04-17-2010, 06:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I show them the answers using the document camera. While they are correcting their own work, I walk around and check for completeness. We review the ones that students had difficulty with or that they got wrong. They are very honest and are not afraid to ask questions because they understand that similar problems will be on the assessment.
hoku625 is offline   Reply With Quote

nopaparazzi

Grading
Old 04-17-2010, 07:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I purchased a gradecam for quick homework assessments. It will take any answer key as long as it is written neatly and placed in a certain format. My kids come in and scan their work, it grades it, and then we can talk about it.
nopaparazzi is offline   Reply With Quote

thaibuckeye

math games to send home
Old 04-21-2010, 08:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I am interested in learning more about your math games. How often do you send them? What type of games are they? Do you have a sample I could look at?

JoSo

Math games
Old 04-22-2010, 06:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I send one game home a week, with instructions and a check list. Students then have to write a journal response about teh strategies that they used. Unfortunately I am not able to attach anything. E-mail me and I will send them to you. Jonathan.So@peelsb.com. i don't know if this link will work but you can look at my class website. I have them saved there too: http://myclass.peelschools.org/PDSBW...lass=Grade%205.

Mr. Petra
Old 04-24-2010, 11:19 AM
This message has been deleted by Mr. Petra. Reason: Already answered question

thaibuckeye

games
Old 05-01-2010, 01:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

JoSo-What heading are they under on your website?

JoSo

Old 05-03-2010, 09:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

They should be under the resource section/ math/ math games.