Help

Fifth Grade

differentiated lessons

>

Ali'a

differentiated lessons
Old 05-03-2010, 10:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am so lost when it comes to differentiating instruction. It is still kind of confusing to me. Does anyone know of any web-sites that have examples of what differentiated lessons should look like?

Ali'a is offline   Reply With Quote

rockhound

Rotation Stations
Old 05-03-2010, 01:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When I feel that my kids can benefit from more targeted math instruction - I break them into differentiated math groups. After monitoring classwork and homework, I plan for three groups (below, on target, above).

I divide them into "teams" and plan for three stations: game, small group direct instruction, and independent practice. For each "team" I prep different work, and have an aide that teaches and monitors the game. The kids spend 20 minutes at a station then rotate into the next station. This gives me an opportunity to really support students that are struggling or really challenge kids that need more in a small group setting. With 31 students it's not always easy to do!

What's great about this method, is that the groups always change - depending on the topic being taught. My kids aren't locked into one "math group" every week. Of course there has to be a balance between homogeneous grouping and mixed ability grouping too!

This website was the inspiration for my math rotation stations! Hope it helps!
http://www.lauracandler.com/
rockhound is offline   Reply With Quote

JoSo

differiantiating lessons
Old 05-04-2010, 10:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

i don't have a website but how I understand it is to change your lesson to fit the needs of each student. Lets take a math lesson. in Ontario grade fives are to do two digit by two digit multilpication stratgies. i have students at a grade three level so they only have to do two by one digit up to 6. I give them the same contextual problem but change the numbers. For language I will change the lesson to have less writing, use of graphic organizers, scribing when needed. I hope this helps or clarifies things.
JoSo is offline   Reply With Quote