Help

Fifth Grade

Anyone else at their wit's end??

>

cowpig

Anyone else at their wit's end??
Old 05-07-2010, 08:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just need to vent for a second... This is my first year in 5th, and ever since we got back from spring break, my students have been awful!! Is this typical 5th grade end of year behavior? Is there a cure? They have been talking back, completely ignoring me, not working/listening, arguing with each other etc... They weren't perfect before, but they were nothing like they are now! We only have next week to prepare for our state science test, and two more weeks to prepare for the reading and math state tests. I am trying games, worksheets, partner work, versa tiles, brain pop, study island...basically EVERYTHING I can think of! I am even bribing them with extra recess and short breaks in between activities! NOTHING is working! I don't know how I am going to get through this review with them and survive the next few weeks...

cowpig is offline   Reply With Quote

crockpotqueen

Unfortunately...
Old 05-07-2010, 09:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've taught 5th for a handful of years and this sounds normal to me.
crockpotqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

IndyRae

I agree
Old 05-07-2010, 01:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This is typical behavior. I just remind myself that this is why I teach 5th grade and not 6th. Students act like that all year in 6th grade. It's partially due to puberty, peer pressure, and finally lack of home support.

I have learned to try to keep things going with more educational games, incentives, and a lot of humor.

It's not a fix for all, but helps you keep your sanity at least. Just remember the year is almost over.
IndyRae is offline   Reply With Quote

linzeek44

Old 05-08-2010, 07:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm having the same problem...
linzeek44 is offline   Reply With Quote
kayaker

kayaker

25 yr. vet teacher
Old 05-08-2010, 11:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Try gathering them for a "meeting" and present it as "We have a problem to solve together". While it's true that they get more chatty and often pass notes etc. toward the end of 5th grade, my students are still working well and being respectful. It's the unstructured times that I notice are extra chaotic. Hang in there!

Jenn81

Old 05-09-2010, 06:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

This is my first year teaching and teaching 5th. It has been even more crazier after April vacation. The whole school had more office referrels last week than they have had in a whole month.

Anyways, I'm glad this is normal, but I am determined to find some type of cure! We are teaching until June 23rd....that seems like a long way away, with the way the kiddos are acting.
Jenn81 is offline   Reply With Quote
TeachJen226

TeachJen226

Sounds normal
Old 05-09-2010, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This sounds normal! 5th graders in the spring are hard to handle! You're really just in survival mode 'til the end of the year. I would just continue with incentives, but also crack down even harder on consequences at the same time. It does seem to work somewhat. Good luck and hang in there!

Queen of Pink

Old 05-09-2010, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My class has been HORRIBLE all year and it has only gotten worse these past few weeks. To put the icing on the cake, there is no home support and there is no support from the administration on disciplining children when it gets to the point of where you cannot teach because of the behavior. If I drank, I would be an alcoholic by now.....! I cannot wait for this school year to end...which makes me really sad because I love my job, just not my class
Queen of Pink is offline   Reply With Quote
SMT'N

SMT'N

Old 05-10-2010, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I've been teaching fifth grade for eleven years. While every class has its own dynamics, it is typical for students at this age to get the "spring flings"...flinging around words, behaviors, attitudes, etc. I highly recommend adding these "teacher tools" to your repetoire (aka bag o' tricks)...Teaching Children to Care, The Skillful Teacher, Yardsticks, and using the Responsive Classroom Model.

Good Luck, Have Patience, and be Proactive for next year by taking a course or reading one of the above.