Help

Units of Study

Writing Notebooks

>

Jule

Writing Notebooks
Old 06-28-2010, 09:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Fletcher talks about writing notebooks to begin writing workshop. What kind of notebooks do you use? What does the paper look like? Do you buy them or make them?

Jule is offline   Reply With Quote

TcherGurl528

writer's notebooks
Old 06-29-2010, 06:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In the past, my students (3-5th grade) have used the marble Mead composition books. At the beginning of the year, I show them mine (which I have personalized with pictures of my family and pets, quotes I like, etc.) and we talk about what makes it special.

Then the students personalize their own for homework and we share them that first Friday of school. I am very careful to say personalize and not decorate, because I don't want the kids to just put stickers and doodles on their notebooks. The idea is for the outside to be a place where they can gather ideas because the things on it are important to them. Most of my kids ended up going through at least 2 WNB by the end of the year.
TcherGurl528 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jule

notebooks -2nd grade
Old 06-29-2010, 07:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I love the "personalize" idea. Do you think those notebooks would work for second grade?

TcherGurl528

Old 06-29-2010, 11:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I do! I've used them with 2nd graders starting half-way through the year, but if I were to teach 2nd again I would start with them in the beginning. I know TC/Lucy Calkins thinks that 2nd graders are too young to use notebooks, but I think it is easier for students to get the idea of "collecting seeds" if it's in one place and then drafts are kept in folders.
TcherGurl528 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jule

notebooks -2nd grade
Old 06-29-2010, 01:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks TcherGurl. I agree about keeping the papers together. Plus it's much easier management when you don't have to have loose paper ready every day. I'm just afraid they might still need the dotted line in the middle because of their handwriting. Last year I used single line all year and realized too late that their handwriting was awful and their letter size was really inconsistent. Maybe it will work if I do more directed handwriting practice.