Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

1st year & 1st day of pre-K

>

want2tch

1st year & 1st day of pre-K
Old 08-02-2010, 07:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I begin my first year as a teacher Aug. 9 and worried about how to plan for first week, especially the first day. Not sure what to expect with the 4 year old group (I have 18 and luckily an assistant:-). I know they're going to need A LOT of training, but looking for veteran's advice on how to plan those first days. I would appreciate any feedback.

want2tch is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby07

Old 08-03-2010, 05:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When I started teaching pre-K, these two websites helped me ENORMOUSLY!!!! Especially the "boot camp" section -- I printed that out and put it right in my planbook.

For some reason, the link to this one won't show up. Just leave out the spaces (but keep the hyphen!), and you'll be there:

pre-k pages . com

prekinders.com

There are TONS of great pre-K websites out there, but these two are great for beginners. GOOD LUCK!!!!
Ruby07 is offline   Reply With Quote

linzeek44

First Day Ideas
Old 08-03-2010, 05:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Here's ideas off the top of my head:

Put out a few activities for the morning where the kids can explore relatively independently while you can greet families and help students who are having a harder time transitioning. Maybe some easy puzzles, dramatic play with a limited number of props, play dough, a simple art station...

Do a short circle where you introduce yourself, maybe do a greeting/name song, and perhaps a quick story or group activity. It might help to go for short the first day.

Make time to go over any rules you have and show kids a picture schedule if you have one.

Don't put out TOO much until you've practiced the clean up routine. Otherwise you'll feel like you're cleaning up all day long. :P

One thing I did the end of the first week was that we practiced the schedule and expectations by acting it out with dolls. Everyone had a doll or stuffed animal that they walked through the activities. I'd call for circle time and they would "teach" their doll where to sit/what to do. We walked through rest time, snack time, etc. It was cute to see them explain to their dolls that "you need to be quiet for rest time."
linzeek44 is offline   Reply With Quote

bmclean

Same place
Old 08-03-2010, 02:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I will be starting the 11th with 3 yr olds! I'm very nervous about how to handle the first day as well. The one thing that I know I'm not going to do is overload them with rule after rule. I am going to plan activities to teach them the rules and procedures through the first three days. I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one to be nervous!
bmclean is offline   Reply With Quote

want2tch

Wow, thanks
Old 08-04-2010, 09:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

the first sight pre-k page is awesome, haven't explored second site. Thanks a million for the advice, I am looking forward to using a lot of these ideas.

want2tch is offline   Reply With Quote