Help

Kindergarten

1/2 day K...Recess or No?

>

LivieLou

1/2 day K...Recess or No?
Old 08-04-2010, 07:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

The school I teach at is a K-2 school. ADK and grades 1 + 2 go to recess at 10:40 every day. I teach 1/2 day K and I have allowed my morning children to go outside with the "big kids".

Several teachers have mentioned to me that I should not allow them to go out because I only have them for 2 1.2 hours and the afternoon session does not have recess with the whole school.

I would love to know...Do you have recess in a 1/2 day K?

Suzanne

LivieLou is offline   Reply With Quote

Garden Gal

Save recess!
Old 08-04-2010, 07:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

First of all I teach full day K but I feel passionately about this topic. Kids of all ages need recess!!! With a 1/2 program you may have to keep it short 10-15 mins. but I would do it both in AM and PM.
  1. Children need fresh air and exercise-see research about the couch potato generation.
  2. Recess helps children learn to socialize and solve peer interaction problems-with guidance of course
  3. Young brains attend to new learning better with physical activity-you can either do recess or classroom movement activites but kids need a mental break frequenlty in order to focus on academics. There is research to support this that you can probably find if you google- brain research and physical activity
Garden Gal is online now   Reply With Quote

danalea10

Old 08-04-2010, 08:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Our program is a 1/2 day Head Start program and we added a 2 and1/2 4K program last year. We have 3 and 1/2 hours in Head Start and we go out for 30 minutes. The 4K goes out for 20 minutes. I believe like the pp about how important it is to have that physical activity. Do you have to go out with the older kids or can you go out at a time when noone is on the playground?
danalea10 is offline   Reply With Quote

njteacherk

Old 08-04-2010, 10:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am really torn on this. I will be teaching 1/2 day for the first time this year after doing full day for two years. I already don;t have time for the academic stuff and I dont know how to fit in anything else!
njteacherk is offline   Reply With Quote

SmileandLaugh

Old 08-04-2010, 11:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree with GardenGal that kids of all ages need recess. It is definitely an age-appropriate activity that encourages their physical, social, and emotional growth. It is utilizing play and interactive activities to develop their language and improve their social skills.

SmileandLaugh is offline   Reply With Quote

LivieLou

I agree
Old 08-04-2010, 11:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks for your responses. I agree that these children NEED outside playtime. I just started to second guess my decision due to the other teachers telling me that there is only so much time in my program.

It is hard in the am to stop the recess due to the bell ringing indicating that all the children are going out to play. :lol The afternoon session I take them out. They are outside for 15 minutes tops. In colder weather it is only about 10 minutes.

I just wanted some background from other teachers in other schools. Keep coming with your opiniions...
LivieLou is offline   Reply With Quote

SueHue

Old 08-04-2010, 12:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We are not supposed to have recess, but our P used to be a K teacher, so she ignores it when we go outside! Thankfully!! We usually give them 15 minutes - some eat a snack and then play, and some just play.
SueHue is offline   Reply With Quote

love2teachkg

sooo lucky..
Old 08-05-2010, 07:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We don't have recess. We have 30 minutes a day of structured activities though, this is because we do not have P.E. as a resource, so we (the teachers) have to take the kids out for structured activities-AND create lesson plans for these activities
love2teachkg is offline   Reply With Quote