Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

"I don't like school."

>

wgirl

"I don't like school."
Old 09-07-2010, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Any suggestions or ideas on how to help a crying child who cries everyday now for the past 4 days of school. She told me she "doesn't like school." Today she cried for an hour, she misses her mom and I've done my best to reassure her, her twin sister is even in the same class. Today she cried for an hour and wouldn't participate in circle time. She eventually stopped crying and played at centers and ate snack. The other days she left the room with our guidance counselor and went for a walk, however today I said she should stay in the room, (to learn the routine and work on adjusting) as she asked to leave the room. I think it is just going to take time to feel comfortable and adjust to school, she did attend daycare.

Thanks!

wgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Valone

Old 09-07-2010, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

(I had one that screamed for 7 hours the first day, 10 minutes the second day)

Everything you can do to keep her mind off "going home".

Make sure everything you do is so exciting that the kids will beg to participate. Occasionally I will dig out stickers, M & M's for everyone who is participating.
"Oh I am so happy that you are singing today" Make sure you play it up for all the children.

I don't believe in giving primary reinforcers, but this is an exception. Finger-painting in shaving cream, playing with silly putty, dig out your very best toys and games. Make sure your transitions are fast and involved.
Valone is offline   Reply With Quote

learntogether

Old 09-08-2010, 04:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

and try to have really attractive things out to do at arrival time.

It actually sounds to me like this child may be doing it for attention since she went on the walk with the counselor and she already has gone to daycare AND has her twin in the room.
learntogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Gil

Gil

this may help
Old 09-08-2010, 09:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I had a very shy little boy who cried for the first week last year. His hardest time was at the beginning when Mom left. I asked him if he would bring me his favorite book from home so we could read it to the class. He did and we saved it for the end of the day. I reminded him several times during the day that we were going to read his book to everyone right before it was time to go home. This was the first day he didn't cry. The other thing I did was try to match him up with another little boy at center time that I thought would make a good friend for him. I commented about their play together and said, "Tommy, I see you made a friend". It took a couple of weeks for him to actively engage with others but his crying stopped. He did well as soon as he understood the routine was pretty much the same everyday and he knew what to expect.

mrspennington

Old 09-08-2010, 03:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You've already gotten lots of great ideas, here are a few other things I've used with kids in the past. Have her bring in a family picture and/or some special item of her mom's. If she is wearing a special necklace or has a picture to look at when she feels sad, it can sometimes help. I also have a picture schedule in my classroom to help all of the students understand the structure of the day. I move a clothespin next to whichever activity we are doing to help the children understand what is coming next. This makes it easier for them to understand how much longer it will be until we go home.

mrspennington is offline   Reply With Quote