Need Help with my 5th grade class!!

>

MsNoble

Need Help with my 5th grade class!!
Old 04-30-2010, 09:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Need Help with my 5th grade class
04-29-2010, 02:05 PM #1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know there are several posts about this, but I have a very specific (I feel) with the needs of my students. I WILL preface this by saying that I am a first year teacher and have many other teachers offering suggested and have tried MANY interventions. So now, I'm almost desperate, and need your assistance.

I have a VERY chatty group of students. Towards the beginning of the year, they were chatty, but focused on the content. They're all very bright (they gave me the "high fliers" so to speak) and so we are CAPABLE of having great discussions. As the year has progressed, I've watching hormones, attitude, whining, and a sense of pure entitlement emerge. They whine over EVERYTHING, have a negative attitude, and talk when they please (no longer on task). The "dating" situtations and drama are now taking over our LEARNING time, and state tests have just started. I could lecture till I'm blue in the face and that will correct behavior for exactly 2.76 minutes. I'm at my wit's end and I'm very discouraged. I have a classroom behavior system in place (checks on their desk = time with me at recess), a classroom intervention for talking (they move along the scale every time they're talking out of turn)....I try rewarding, but they don't care about anything anymore..I reward them individually with Star Slips (our PBIS system) and they just lose them or sell them to those in the classroom who DO "collect" them!

It's ridiculous! Please help me! Thank you for any and all suggestions.

MsNoble is offline   Reply With Quote

spartyteacher

Infraction System
Old 04-30-2010, 10:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I adopted a system in place in our Junior High, and adapted it to my own needs. When a child is speaking out of turn or has a negative behavior, they get a "warning slip," which is a piece of paper written up about proper behavior and how they are expected to behave (there are thing about respecting the school, their peers, as well as themselves).

They have to copy the slip (about two pages written out) and turn it in the following day. Five of these slips result in infractions (1st one is a lunch detention and a note home that has to be signed, 2nd one is lunch detention/signed note/phone call home, 3rd is lunch detention/note/meeting with parents etc.) The consequences build on each other as they go, eventually resulting in detention. My administration is on board with this and it works much better in my class than some of the junior high levels, but it is effective. Usually I just have to threaten for a warning slip and the behavior improves.

If the behavior is bad enough, we can skip the warnings and go straight to infractions. I send a note home to make sure parents and students are clear on the policy. (I think I have one typed up if you would like a copy).
spartyteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

cowpig

I am in the same boat!
Old 04-30-2010, 11:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am a 2nd year teacher, but this is my 1st year in 5th grade. My students are acting the same way! We have a month till our state tests, so this is the time of year when I really need them focused. I use a classroom economy as my behavior system, but they have pretty much lost interest at this point in it. The only thing I have found that works is for me to keep a list and everytime they "act up" (they are clear on what all that includes) they get a tally. For every tally they have, they sit out for 2 minutes at recess. I think you mentioned that you had tried something like that, but it is the ONLY thing working for mine right now. They are still very disrespectful, demanding, and completely unfocused though. I hope other people have some helpful suggestions, because I need them to!
cowpig is offline   Reply With Quote

jeanmarie

I'm also frustrated
Old 05-01-2010, 06:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think it's that time of year for 5th graders! I started building toward this a few months ago. My students earn a token for a variety of things: good deeds, A+ papers, Mental Math scores, completion of homework - anything I can find. If the whole class passes a test - everyone gets one. If I'm gone and the sub tells me they had a good day - everyone gets one. Anyway - they can turn 5 of these in for 20 minutes of choice time for computers or board games once a week. However, they pay a 1 coin fine for forgetting to put their name on their paper, late homework, etc. They pay 2 coins for being removed from a class or recess for disruptive/rude behavior. I've also started fining 1 coin for talking outloud. Truthfully - I have never seen this problem as bad as it in this year. Some of the students (more aggressive and inconsiderate ones) just blurt out any connection that comes to mind. I've explained that all of the students have a right to a positive and conducive working environment. I have 5 who have serious attention problems and they come off task if a gnat flies in so they don't need others just speaking outloud. I give NO warnings - they just get fined. If they have no coins, they write me an IOU and now we are understanding debt. If you are in debt on Friday, then you stay in and "pay-it-off" doing anything that needs to be done. I'm considering levying a 2-coin fine for failing a test or not completing outside reading since May will be quitting time as far as most are concerned. I want them to understand this is their job and if they decide to "quit" their job, there are consequences just as there are in the real world. Might work - we'll see.
jeanmarie is offline   Reply With Quote

GiantSubs

Me too!
Old 05-01-2010, 12:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I focus on making it clear that any work we don't get through in class because of their disruptive behavior will result in more homework and that seems to be working! If I'm interrupted or have to wait on them to stop talking, I simply write the assignment on the board and sit down at my desk to work and when they realize it's now homework, they settle in and start working because they don't want to do it at home! I'll answer questions for those who were not disruptive, but the ones who are get to figure it out on their own and have to come see me before school starts the next day if they need help. They are old enough to learn consequences of their actions.

GiantSubs is offline   Reply With Quote

Melon

Would love a copy of your "warning slip" :)
Old 05-02-2010, 11:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Looking ahead to next year- I would like to see your warning slip if you still have a saved copy. Thanks so much - melon
Melon is offline   Reply With Quote

JoSo

Old 05-03-2010, 09:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

many have already made great suggestions and things that I do in teh class. one year that I taught i had a very hard class, socially and emotionally. I think i had a fight everyday in the class and the 'caddiness' of teh girls oh boy. Anyways, i had an old cubical desk taht I labeled the pouting box. Anytime that I found students doing a negative behaviour i put them in the box. Now I know this is very strict behaviour but it work and by the end of two weeks in the box it stopped. In fact sometimes they would but themselfs in the box when they felt aggression or anything else. Good luck, I do a fine and reward system now and have auctions regulary for the beginning so it stays as a motivation.
JoSo is offline   Reply With Quote

spartyteacher

Old 05-04-2010, 08:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

This is the note I have parents and students sign:
Attached Files
File Type: doc 5th Grade Infraction Policy.doc (22.0 KB, 171 views)

spartyteacher

Old 05-04-2010, 08:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

This is the infraction slip:
Attached Files
File Type: doc Infraction Slip.doc (25.0 KB, 119 views)

spartyteacher

Warning slip
Old 05-04-2010, 10:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I'm trying to find a copy saved to my computer, but I will have to look at home! I will post when I find it!

heather_jean

Old 10-20-2010, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Could you post what the kids have to write? I am really in need of something my kids are very social this year and I think this might work. I would love to try it Thank you so so much
heather_jean is offline   Reply With Quote