Texas and the Gifted Program or Advanced Clas

>

Dora1

Dora1

Texas and the Gifted Program or Advanced Clas
Old 06-13-2007, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi:

We are moving to TX and my kid will be going to 4th grade. She was in the enrichment program in 2nd grade and used to read beyond her level, but, unfortunately, they didn't have any gifted programs in her previous school.
But, now the plano independent school district in TX seems to have the gifted program.

1. I would like to know if they do the testing before the school year starts?

2. Even if she doesn't fit in the gifted program, she is definetely advanced. Should I be asking the school about these things?

3. Also, she is special ed. for speech articulation. Does that disqualify her from getting into gifted programs or advanced classes.

Please post the details so that I have some info before we enroll her in the school in the state of Texas.

Thanks so much for your help.

yesteach

GT in TX
Old 06-14-2007, 09:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

1. I would like to know if they do the testing before the school year starts?

There are no state regulations about when students are tested in Texas, it is up to each individual school district to decide when to test students. I would suggest contacting the administration building and ask them who does their testing and contact that person.

2. Even if she doesn't fit in the gifted program, she is definetely advanced. Should I be asking the school about these things?

Yes. Especially if you have documentation that she was in an enrichment program in her previous school.

3. Also, she is special ed. for speech articulation. Does that disqualify her from getting into gifted programs or advanced classes.

Being in SpEd does NOT disqualify a student from GT or advanced classes.
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote