Help

Fifth Grade

Words Their Way in 5th grade

>

Inspire

Words Their Way in 5th grade
Old 04-17-2010, 07:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone use Words Their Way in 5th grade? I may be moving from 3rd to 5th and was wondering how it worked in 5th. I love the program want to continue it.

Thanks!
Inspire

Inspire is offline   Reply With Quote

bookiemushu

I use it as part of Four Block
Old 04-18-2010, 04:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think using Words Their Way in fifth grade is wonderful. I have a groups of students in WWP, S&A, and DR. Because the gap in word knowledge is so broad with 5th graders, WTW works well in my room.
bookiemushu is offline   Reply With Quote

crockpotqueen

Old 04-18-2010, 08:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

it works the same way as younger grades... you might begin seeing students graduate from it...I ordered the ceasar's english teacher ed. and used those words w/ those kids this year
crockpotqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

icecream02

Old 04-18-2010, 10:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Interesting to read this post. Our district adopted WTW this year, and I absolutely hate using it. There is not one teacher on my team that likes it. We even got permission to use another spelling program in addition to this one.

Just curious, what parts of WTW do you like?

I hate the sorting every week.
icecream02 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 04-18-2010, 10:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I used it with 5th, but found it time consuming. I met with groups to introduce, etc. Did whole group sorts (with their words) and met to test, etc.

I found it time consuming and didn't do it as dilligently as I should have. Also, I don't believe in spelling anyway. I choose to focus on vocab. instead so...

GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

kay/5

Wtw
Old 04-18-2010, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I agree with Icecream and Greyhoundgirl. We use WTW and I dislike it because it is very time consuming and would rather spend that time teaching vocabulary. I wish we didn't have to give spelling grades and could have a "word study" section on our report card instead.
kay/5 is offline   Reply With Quote

kali

vocab and spelling
Old 04-25-2010, 10:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Teaching vocabulary and spelling are different and of equal importance. I really like WTW and Ganske's Word Journeys to assess and inform my instruction in regards to spelling. Word Sorts are great and important, but clearly there are many ways to step out of the box from word sorts while teaching spelling. If you get creative with your spellers, you can tie in vocabulary too. For example, have a spelling bee, but choose words that are- both in the students spelling stage and are vocabulary words of interest.
kali is offline   Reply With Quote

Jenn81

Old 05-02-2010, 04:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am in fifth grade and just started using syllable Juncture. There are 3 fifth grades in my school and we actually combined all of our students and split them up into three different levels , mine being the lower level of course. So it is time consuming but instead of working with three to four differentiated leveled groups I work with one.

The only problem I find is that my students at this point are memorizing the words, and their is not a always a transfer of this knowledge about how words are put together when I look at their everyday spelling. Then again my students may need a lot more support and the way we meet with the groups is not allowing me to really get to know my students who visit from other classrooms.

So their are pros and cons. I would like to start making all of the games that go with the sorts , to use as extensions during my literacy block.

Have these games been helpful for your students?
Jenn81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Victoria1171

Victoria1171

Definition
Old 03-07-2011, 04:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I make them write a definition for the more difficult words. If I see they memorized them, I have them write bonus sentences for them just they can't use anything like "I don't know what Hippopotomonstrosesquipidalioph obia is." or just a sentence they could use with any words.