Help

Fifth Grade

Poetry Unit

>

trasie

Poetry Unit
Old 04-10-2011, 08:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have never taught poetry (as a unit) before because I am new to teaching language arts. I know that I would like to use the unit to review figurative language and I'd like the students to write some poems. I have some hit-and-miss materials but other than that I don't know where to begin....HELP!

TIA

trasie is offline   Reply With Quote

LindyJo

poetry
Old 04-10-2011, 10:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use my unit to teach/review figurative language - alliteration, hyperbole, similie, metaphor, idioms, analogy, onomotopeia, etc. I usually find a few poems that are great examples of each and share those with the kids. After teaching each (5-7 days) we look at poems and try to identify different elements of figurative language, as well as figure out what the poem means. I usually pick some Jack Prelutsky, but also more sophisticated poems by Maya Angelou and Lewis Carrol to help the kids stretch - you can find a lot on the net. For similies and metaphors this year I used that Katy Perry song, "Firework." They loved that! I also have the kids look for examples of figurative language in their reading and fill out a bookmark the second week of instruction. This gives me a grade as well.

When I've taught writing in the past I've tied this unit with a poetry writing unit and they kids made poem books for Mother's Day.
LindyJo is offline   Reply With Quote