Help

Fifth Grade

What do you love about 5th grade?

>

pmpkin2

What do you love about 5th grade?
Old 04-20-2011, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is my 2nd year in 5th grade after teaching 3rd for 12 years. While I looked forward to the move I am questioning whether I want to stay or go back...if given a choice. Although, I'm sure going down a grade level is harder than going up.
I loved all the firsts with 3rd graders and I don't feel like I have that with my 5th graders.
I like their independence and the relationship I have with them but I don't feel like anything is exciting and new for them.

What do you love about 5th?

pmpkin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

romo

Ditto
Old 04-21-2011, 01:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I too was moved to 5th grade after about 14yrs in 3rd and I hope never to go back down! I know what you mean about the 'firsts' with 3rd grade, but I absolutely LOVE the independence with 5th. I have had a ton of 'first' with 5th grade, due to this web-site. I have a Hollywood theme and love it. They are the 'stars' of our school. They are the safeties, helpers, we help in the lunchroom, in every classroom, etc...They too have loved 5th grade. I have a money system and let them pay to bring their ipods in (they only listen during morning work, snack and sometimes during independent time, I also keep it in my file cabinet when they are not using it) I auction off sit by a friend for a week, lunch with me, free computer time with a friend. I let them take a lap and back--they are allowed to go around the school, stop and use the bathroom and come back. I talk about respect and trust and they are get at doing this. Make it fun and exciting. I hope you stay in 5th...it is a great age.
romo is offline   Reply With Quote

mommasboys

I love . . .
Old 04-21-2011, 02:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

their independence! Having taught grades 2, 3, 4, and 5 in 25 years there is nothing like 5th grade. I was very nervous about moving just from 4th to 5th but I hope to never go back down. I instill in them that they are "almost middle schoolers" and treat them that way and I have found that they love the extra privileges given to them because they are the oldest in the school. They respect me because I respect them and I don't treat them like babies. I am very proud of all 30 (yes, 30!) of my fifth graders and how ready they are for middle school.
mommasboys is offline   Reply With Quote

SnackNapRead

I love...
Old 04-21-2011, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

the curriculum! (I love American History and the stories we can do in Language Arts)

being able to "reason" with them

sharing books that challenge their thinking and make them see the world differently than they might have before

teaching the "seniors" of elementary school (5th grade privileges, activities, events, etc...)

the independent level (I can actually focus on my small group during guided reading)

departmentalizing (I love all subjects except Math - I am so happy I have a teammate that loves Math)
SnackNapRead is offline   Reply With Quote

vj2007

I love...
Old 04-23-2011, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The independency of the students. They are old enough to work alone, but still will cooperate pretty well in groups. Although, they're growing up and getting ready for middle school they are still big kids at heart. They are still eager to learn still get excited about learning in comparison to middle school students. I also love how they are old enough to think outside the box and ask thought provoking questions. This is my third year with 5th graders and I like this grade a lot in comparison to middle school students.

vj2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
madewes98

madewes98

Fifth Grade
Old 05-01-2011, 04:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Out of the 27 years I have been teaching, 8 of them have been in Fifth Grade. They are independent, strong, loving and its great. I was out of the classroom for 4 years and then taught 2nd--hated it. This year I have taught 5th and have not been this happy in years. Just got a blow last week and they are moving me to third--NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO THE CHANGE-and all I can say is--9 YEARS LEFT

nicosipp23

I love...
Old 05-06-2011, 04:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

their independence, that they are the oldest in the school and are proud to be role models, their eagerness to help the school and be advocates, their appropriate social skills make cooperative learning easier, and their higher level thinking and deep conversations about books and topics.
nicosipp23 is offline   Reply With Quote