Help

Fifth Grade

Last Reading Unit Ideas?

>

WSU10

Last Reading Unit Ideas?
Old 04-10-2011, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm at a loss here with what to do for the last few weeks of school. I plan on doing a readers theater unit for the week or week and a half after Easter. I'm looking for something interesting and somewhat fun for the last few weeks of the year after readers theater. I'll be working on some English skills as well, but I need something for reading. I was thinking about another novel unit, but I don't have any books to do another, and nothing in the catalogs are of interest or cheap enough. I want to try and avoid the textbook and workbook if I can, which usually means more work for me, but it's alright.

Anyone have any fun suggestions for a last reading unit of the year? Probably 3 weeks worth of stuff. If I have to, I'll use the textbook and reading book, but it'd be a waste of books for the students.

WSU10 is offline   Reply With Quote

frazzledtchr

What about...
Old 04-10-2011, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

small group novels? I'm planning to do My Side of the Mountain with the whole class, and then after Easter, let small groups choose a novel within their level to read and discuss in literature circles. I use a generic packet to make them accountable for each reading assignment. Discussion Director- guides the discussion while reading and asks follow up questions. Word Wizard- notes challenging, interesting, or unknown vocabulary to define and discuss. Connector Inspector- makes connections text to text, text to self, or text to world. Art Master- chooses the most memorable scene from the daily assignment to draw and lists a caption. Then I have a summary or book review at the end. The kids enjoy it, and it's an easy week for me. I do not grade the packets per se, but do give a completion grade.

Good luck!!
frazzledtchr is offline   Reply With Quote

teachinpitt

End of year reading
Old 04-11-2011, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

How about reading classic fairy tales/fables and having them re-write endings, or re=write them into modern times??

I also do 2 week Shakespeare unit that is designed for 5th graders...research Folgers Shakespeare website for ideas. They love MidSummer Night's Dream.
teachinpitt is offline   Reply With Quote

WSU10

Old 04-11-2011, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

When you do the Shakespeare unit, do you use the lessons from the Folger's website? I just did a quick glance, and the lessons look really cool, and I think a few of my students would enjoy doing a unit on this. Not saying all, but a few might enjoy it.

If you could send me any other information you have on this, that would be awesome. Either through a PM or within the thread.

I've never been a Shakespeare fan, but it'd be awesome to do with the students.
WSU10 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachinpitt

Shakespeare
Old 04-14-2011, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

As with you, I was never a Shakespeare fan because my teachers never introduced me to him the way I do to my kids.

First Day: I have Shakespeare face masks cut out and attached to a craft stick waiting on their desks in the morning. On the back of the mask is a common phrase credited to Shakespeare ( knock, knock, who's there?, eat me out of house and home, all's well that ends well, green-eyed monster, wears his heart on his sleeve, etc)
Shakespearean Insults--Old English barbs that we verbally throw at each other..i.e: "you snooty, lily-livered, canker blossom!"
After that, we play Pictionary using some of the 2000+ words and phrases Shakespeare is credited with creating (can be found online)

Day 2-Harcourt has a basal story by the author Aliki about Shakespeare and his Globe Theatre. One of the few basal stories that I use throughout the year. I then go online to an interactive site for the Globe Theatre --like a virtual tour...kids like this.

Day 3 or 4--I introduce an upper elementary version of "A MidSummer Night's Dream". A resource book I have all about Teaching Shakespeare to Elementary Kids has super ideas for introducing 5 of his famous plays. I read the play/story as they follow along in copies I made.

Day x: Watch various you tube videos of the play to help them 'get it', because the plot is funny but a bit confusing the first time through. Plus they word 'ass' is used so they all loved hearing me read that. (in reference to a donkey).

Then I assign 8-10 lines pieces of dialogue from the play for each student to practice and then read aloud in dramatic voices.

Writing: I have them create a story using 8-10 of SHakespeares famous phrases.

Day y: another you tube video summary of Romeo and Juliet (video spark notes has the best)

Finally, I have a differentiated performance assessment using the Midsummer Night's Dream. I will try to attach. They can pick from 3 projects. I have a below level list, at level list, and list for my gifted/advanced. Hope this helps. Have Fun with it...main thing is to take the stigma of "ooo, shakespeare". My files are at my school computer..if u email, i can forward them...message me ur email at school.

teachinpitt is offline   Reply With Quote

suebee77

Buddy Reading
Old 04-14-2011, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Students pair up with the copies of the same book. Usually I can find at least 2 copies of a book they want to read. There are lots of sites with forms to use. Basically they meet and set their next day reading goal. Each writes a 'deep thought' question. They meet the next day and discuss, reset goals, and continue. Another idea is to have them journal each other abour the book they are reading.
suebee77 is offline   Reply With Quote

jayjody

Shakespeare Unit
Old 05-07-2011, 01:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Teachinpitt, your Shakespeare unit sounds fun! Would you share what you have with me? My email is jdrobinson#bcbe.org. Thanks!

Last edited by jayjody; 05-07-2011 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: Typo
jayjody is offline   Reply With Quote

rockthatchalk

Shakespeare Unit
Old 05-22-2011, 12:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks for this post! I'm doing Shakespeare for the first time this summer, and I want to be prepared as possible. Would you mind e-mailing your plans also? My school e-mail is:

dchen#nazarethacademy.org

Thanks!
rockthatchalk is offline   Reply With Quote