Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

2 yr old who loves lint?

>

SuzyQ

2 yr old who loves lint?
Old 01-25-2012, 03:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi All,
So, I had a mom of one my students tell me that she is worried about her son, that he might not be normal. She said that he likes to pick lint off his clothes or the floor and rub it back and forth above his upper lip. Or else he will do it with his mom's hair too. Has anyone heard of this? I told her I've never seen kids do that, but that I wouldn't be too worried about it, and my assistant thought maybe it's just a habit, like sucking a thumb, or holding a favorite blanket. I told her she could ask the nurse about it as well next time she sees her. (We have a free health clinic at school with a nurse.)

Just wondering what you all think! Thanks.

SuzyQ is offline   Reply With Quote

prek_cait

Old 01-25-2012, 07:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Ummm! hello, tell the mother he's a two yr old! all 1-2 yr olds explore with their mouth! and this particular child must be intrigued with the way lint feels....i mean i guess it's soft..and he likes the way it feels on his lip. i'm sure the child is "normal"...the mother...who knows. I'm sure it's just a little phase...or habit he'll eventually grow out of.
prek_cait is offline   Reply With Quote

SuzyQ

Old 01-25-2012, 08:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yeah, I told her that kids this age like to pick up things like this and explore with their mouth. She just seemed really concerned so just wondering if anyone else knew of this specific case happening.
SuzyQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Lady Di

Hair
Old 01-26-2012, 04:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've heard of the hair thing before (can't remember where). It's a normal sensory exploration thing. Maybe she's a first-time mom and hasn't been around kids much - that would make it weird, I guess.
Lady Di is offline   Reply With Quote
S S

S S

Lint!
Old 01-29-2012, 07:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Oh my, I try to never consider myself normal but I did this exact same thing about 45 years ago. I had a blanket with little lint balls that eventually my mother cut up for dust rags. (Without any therapy I forgave her!)

Yes, tell the mom what others have posted. To ease her mind you can let her know I have been a Sp Ed teacher for over 20 years and most people think I'm normal...maybe...