Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

4 yr old hitting others

>

I teach 4's

4 yr old hitting others
Old 04-04-2012, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a boy in my class who constantly, and I mean constantly, slaps, spits or kicks others. If he's not hitting, he's arguing, which then leads to hitting. He can get loud and aggressive, too. When questioned, he explains that they were 'about to' do something to him. Or perhaps they said something mean to him (called him a baby, etc). I have told him to either 'use his words' and tell the offender "that isn't nice, I don't like it when you call me names" or whatever fits the situation, or else tell me and I will deal with the other child. Occasionally he does tell me, and when I investigate, I often find that this boy was hit accidentally. I then tell the offender to quickly apologize so that the boy doesn't get the wrong idea that it was deliberate. I also find that this boy has usually already retaliated by hitting back, and after that he tells me.

I did on a few occasions write a very short note to his mom detailing some particular instance of his misbehavior (hitting a peer, etc), but as events have unfolded, I can only conclude that she now thinks I'm picking on her child. Not so. She has no idea of the real extent of the problem, how often in one day that he is hitting others. And now I have no intention of telling her.

Any insights?

I teach 4's is offline   Reply With Quote

angelluv8778

Observation Time
Old 04-04-2012, 08:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think I would begin doing event samplings and running record observations. Then, I would bring in the parent with your directo/principal. We are obligated to make sure that everyone is safe at school. I would get everyone involved for the sake of the other children.
angelluv8778 is offline   Reply With Quote

CowTipper22

Old 04-05-2012, 12:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would also go to your princ/director. If they come in and observe these behaviors (make sure they come at a time where is it most prevalent, like free time or whenever the kid is acting out) they will be able to back you up to the parents. You do not want to just let it go because it will only get worse.

I would continue to write notes as well. Maybe a daily journal that you and mom each write in, and the director if she happens to witness something. Tell her about the good things too, so she doesn't see it as picking. Maybe even make a phone call home when he has done something good so she and he can both see how proud you are of him!
CowTipper22 is offline   Reply With Quote

manicali

hope this helps
Old 04-29-2012, 08:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Has this behavior been happening all year or is this a sudden change? Maybe he has had a change at home that has caused him stress. I know that this can be very frustrating. If you do a daily journal and find out what time of the day it happens most you may be able to be near him during that time of day. If you are near you can step in before he hits and help him learn an acceptable behavior. This takes time and patients but it can help.

Have you ever heard of the book Have You Filled a Bucket Today by Carol McCloud? We do activities around this book visiting it throughout the year as needed. Along with this we have a classroom bucket that we hand out stickers to children to fill the bucket. When the class fills the bucket we do something special. When I have behaviors like hitting, a child will get a bucket filler sticker for showing control. They get a sticker even when I step in before they hit and I help them fix the problem. Usually their behavior improves. It take consistency from all teachers in the room to work.
manicali is offline   Reply With Quote

I teach 4's

Old 04-30-2012, 03:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you everyone for your wonderful responses. This behavior has been happening all year, and this little guy just seems suspicious of motives sometimes, I suspect.

I'll have to try that neat bucket idea. The director knows the situation, by the way.

I teach 4's is offline   Reply With Quote