Help

Daily 5

Debbie Diller vs. Daily 5

>

CL

Debbie Diller vs. Daily 5
Old 05-30-2012, 02:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Next year I am teaching a 1/2 split class and I want to use either Debbie Diller's literacy work stations or Daily 5. We are using the common core standards and don't have to follow a basal anymore.
Has anyone ever tried both (not at the same time ) or have a recommendation?
If you do Daily 5, do you follow it exactly as they say in the book?
Thanks for your advice!

CL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiki

Daily 5
Old 05-30-2012, 03:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've done both. I loved literacy work stations when I first discovered them. They certainly were a step up from the centers I used back then. I was teaching 1st at the time and continued them when I moved to 2nd. I now use Daily 5 and wouldn't go back. D5 helps students more on the behaviors that improve reading, not just quality activities to have students do while you teach small groups.

No, I don't follow exactly as they do in the book. The authors don't either. MY students have time each day for 3 rounds, one occurs during out intervention time and I do not use Listen to Reading because I want my students to have more time to read. Word Work is introduced later in the year. I loved Work on Writing when I was able to integrate my writing time with D5, but now we have to have a separate hour with Lucy Calkins so Work on Writing has become a time for students to respond to their reading in writing. The nice thing about the D5 structure is you adapt it to meet the needs of your students.
Tiki is offline   Reply With Quote

TcherGurl528

Old 05-30-2012, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have also used both, and while I liked the centers, I LOVE Daily 5. The other plus about Daily 5 is if you choose to use the CAFE book as well (the strategies to teach within the Daily 5 format) they've aligned their strategies with Common Core already. They're on the website (http://www.thedailycafe.com) and free to download. I know for us, a district moving towards Common Core, that was a big perk.

Last edited by Editor; 05-31-2012 at 06:40 PM.. Reason: fixed link
TcherGurl528 is offline   Reply With Quote

CL

thank you
Old 05-31-2012, 03:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you for your thoughts and advice! Both of your responses are very helpful!!
CL is offline   Reply With Quote

Penguin Girl

Did U make a Mistake?
Old 05-31-2012, 12:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I just went to the D5 site your recommended and it is "for sale". Could you have the site wrong?

Penguin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote

flatrockrosie

Just found it
Old 05-31-2012, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I also had the same problem. I went to Google and typed in Daily Cafe. It popped up automatically. The site is awesome. I think the website is www.thedailycafe.com
flatrockrosie is offline   Reply With Quote

bgteacher

Old 05-31-2012, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

You have to be a member of the site to download these. I'm not sure how much it costs. They offer both a 3 month and a yearly option. I find the sisters' site very helpful and purchase access each year.
bgteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

anansi

Me Too!
Old 06-01-2012, 12:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

It isn't cheap - but it is fabulous! Just watching the videos helps me get great ideas of how I WISH I taught. . . . .
anansi is offline   Reply With Quote

TcherGurl528

Old 06-01-2012, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Really? I was able to find them and I don't have a membership. I can email them to people if you PM me...
TcherGurl528 is offline   Reply With Quote

upperwests

I Love Daily 5....but....
Old 06-02-2012, 03:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I think D5 is a wonderfu management system so that children can work independently while the teacher meets with small groups or with individual students. I have been using it for a few years now and prefer it to centers. However,this year has been a huge struggle for me. Last September I started out with Cafe and D5 on the very first day of school. The sisters updated their book and recommended doing this. I was using stamina charts, practicing several round a day, etc. Overall, the whole first month was too "crazy" for my students.......I should have totally taken things very slowly as I had always done in the past. In addition, I had many students that were not "actively engaged" in their work when they were not with me.......it seemed as though 70% of my kids were what the sisters describe as "Barometer" children. I really had to switch things up this year.

upperwests is offline   Reply With Quote