Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

10 frames

>

timespent

10 frames
Old 06-19-2013, 02:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone use "ten frames" in your math curriculum? If so, at what point in the year do you begin? I'm curious as to how other teachers introduce and use ten frames in their math curriculum. I'm thinking of doing this for the first time this upcoming year and would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

timespent is offline   Reply With Quote

casey56

Old 06-20-2013, 02:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

HI,
I began with five frames and then 10. I started with k-5 math teaching resources activities and then found lots on teacher pay teachers. Lots of dice games, matching frames, ways to make a number activities. I work with older pre k/ five year olds and they did great. A lot of kindergarten common core activities use the frames, I found the ones that i felt my kids were able to do.
casey56 is offline   Reply With Quote

timespent

Thanks!
Old 06-20-2013, 10:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks, Casey56, for your reply. I'll check out TPT to see what I can find. I appreciate the help.

overthemoon

right from the beginning of the year
Old 06-20-2013, 11:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I introduce 5 frames at the beginning of the year when we learn the number 1. Each time we introduce a new number, we put bean counters on the five frame to represent the number. The beans are white on one side and red on the other. As the numbers get larger, this allows us to talk about combinations of the number. So, when we do number 5, for example, we see how many combinations we can make such as 1 red and 4 white or 2 red and 3 white, etc. Once we get to number 6, we introduce the 10 frames.
overthemoon is offline   Reply With Quote

timespent

Love this idea!
Old 06-20-2013, 12:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

overthemoon: Love this idea. Honestly, I hadn't thought about introducing 5 frames first but it makes so much more sense than just going directly to ten frames. i also like the idea of introducing this at the very beginning of the school year. That is a definate for this upcoming year. I've also decided to do a 100 days of school chart for the first time this year. I'd like to tie in the ten frames to the chart.
Thanks for the ideas....here's hoping for the best! and thanks again for your reply.