Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

3 year old preschool

>

wishIcouldte

3 year old preschool
Old 03-13-2014, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I recently got a job as a preschool teacher for 3 year olds. In the past, I taught kindergarten, 1st grade, and prek of 41/2 and 5 year olds. Does anybone know if any good websites/blogs for teachers if 3s. How is 3 year old preschool different than prek or kindergarten. Thanks!

wishIcouldte is offline   Reply With Quote

asica

Old 03-13-2014, 08:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When it comes to things I follow for ideas on Pinterest, I like Dr. Jean and Friends, Happy Hooligans, the measured mom, boy mama teacher mama, Deborah @ teaching preschool.
I have not teach Kindergarden so I cannot tell you a difference. I could tell you that I enjoy teaching three year olds. they are able to sit for 20 min and listen, they get the humor in books, ask questions, you can do so much with that age. I focus with my group on learning to count, naming shapes and colors, upper case letters, recognition of numbers. We do a lot of activities with movements, matching, poem to act out, finger puppets, and painting so they get good grip for writing. Hope that helps.
asica is offline   Reply With Quote

pixiesue

I love teaching three yr olds
Old 03-14-2014, 10:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

they are so funny and cute and eagar
pixiesue is offline   Reply With Quote

RealisticPreK

Old 03-15-2014, 07:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

www.prekpages.com for art and basic skills ideas
prekinders.com

I imagine you are teaching young 3's? By the way, CONGRATULATIONS!!! Welcome to our world! You can do soooo much good for these little kids in terms of developing their literacy skills.

I'm in a private daycare center, nothing fancy, just middle of the road. Not a Primrose or Goddard type school. My neighbor teaches young 3's. I teach older 3's who age out to 4 and someting months by the time they leave.

I teach kids to read. Yes, a bold statement, but I'm doing it and many of my kids walk out reading written c/v/c words. I do phonemic awareness all the time now--we rhyme or orally blend c/v/c words as I pass out snack, or call kids to wash hands or go to centers or line up for recess. My neighbor could do that too, but she's insecure about doing that kind of teaching. (I got certified for prek to 3rd, she has 2 years of college). I used to say the letter sound of each letter in a book title before I read the book, and my kids got used to that and now tell me what the sound is. So phonics review right there.

I used heidi songs CDs, and they are really really great. I have her numbers/shapes one, and letter names/sounds one (teaches correct handwriting as well as letter names/sounds). I also have zoophonics cards, and I sooooo highly recommend them!!! You definitely could use all of these resources in your room!!!

My neighbor, at my suggestion, goes down the line when the kids are lined up and has them trace a letter 'o' saying the sound and letter name, so this helps me when I get the kids and they already know how to handwrite a letter 'o' correctly--so important!

I am a great storyteller, too. Not to brag, I have plenty of limitations, and don't I know it!!! But my goal is to attract kids to reading, any way I can. So I speak in silly voices, use lots of expression, and often just tell a story instead of reading the words, at least the first time around, just to get their interest and attention. I gasp at problems, wail, pause dramatically, whatever it takes to keep their attention. If kids love books, they will be interested in learning to read, especially if you tell them the letters 'talk' and then prove it by sounding out a word and letting them guess what the word is.

I'm playful and determined and relentless, and find opportunities all day long to get phonics practice in, and it does pay off. But then, I want American kids to return to being competitive on the world stage, and early literacy is just one way to make that happen.

P.s. I went to Lakeshore Learning store and saw the most adorable Chicka Chicka Boom boom tree with foam letters that stick to the side. I wanted it!!! It cost $35, so it will be a while. But imagine reading the book and having each child take a letter and come up and fill up the tree with foam letters!! then leaving the tree around for free time play.

I did get 5 small magnetic whiteboards and the blue consonant and red vowel magnetic letters, and this past week my groups of 5 each got the same 2 blue and 1 red letters and we slowly sounded out 3 words, they lined up the letters correctly on their own board, said the word, then wrote the word below as I watched. The kids LOVED it. The rest played with the wikki sticks and ABC cards I also bought, forming the letters correctly. Time very well spent! My prek teacher co-worker loves this idea and I will share my new resources with her-- 2 days for her, 3 days for me.

I student taught in a kindergarten classroom, and I have to say a kindergartener's attention span is definitely longer than that of a typical 3 year old. I do have some kids every year who I know will test gifted, and of course these kids have longer focus and great memories. Teaching through songs is a great method. Make up your own if you can't find what you need. I sing months of year (Spanish and English), days of week (Span and Eng--I made up the Spanish one--I minored in Spanish in college years ago), and among other songs, I also made up a vowels one that makes for easier learning by my kids. Just experiment and have fun doing so!

Last edited by RealisticPreK; 03-15-2014 at 07:57 AM..
RealisticPreK is offline   Reply With Quote