Help

ESL/LEP

ELL Reading Intervention

>

born2teachuga

ELL Reading Intervention
Old 10-25-2014, 11:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I recently started working as a Reading Interventionist for 3-5th grade. I just met with my students for the first time today and I have one student who speaks zero english. I'm curious how I provide instruction for this student. She had no clue what I was saying to her today and I'm looking at the baseline assessments that I gave her and I'm thinking she only wrote words that she knew because they were not in response to any of the questions asked on the test. Should I start translating my activities for her in Spanish and English?
Any suggestions because I'm lost.

born2teachuga is offline   Reply With Quote

allier

Dual language
Old 10-26-2014, 09:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you have access to dual language materials and she can read them, it would be wonderful. I have newcomers with no English (Somali, Iraqi, Congo) and need to start by teaching them names of things, colors, people and places in the school. It can feel very lonely and isolating for those children, and hard for the teachers too.

Start with names of friends in class, places in the school, a visual schedule (or the class schedule with small pictures attached, and those will become some sight words), colors, etc...

In terms of language, since she uses the same alphabet with similar sounds, she will probably catch on quickly.

There are a variety of things to do -

enchantedlearning.com has a fair amount of materials in Spanish

everythingesl.net can provide lots of information and activities

RAZ-kids is helpful since low level books are read to children with words highlighted

If she reads Spanish, there is a nice simple black line picture dictionary, categorized by people, school, food, etc.... from www.bilingualdictionaries.com/ They used to have nice ones from Sesma, but I'm not sure the Spanish one is still in print. They have lots of others.
allier is offline   Reply With Quote

elltch

Old 11-02-2014, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hi! I'm curious why a newcomer is in reading intervention. Is her classroom teacher meeting with her? Is there ESL support in the school? It just seems unusual that a beginning ELL is receiving an intervention before she's had the opportunity to learn the language.
elltch is offline   Reply With Quote

Lillybabe

Old 11-02-2014, 10:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm also curious as to why a student who doesn't speak English is receiving a reading intervention. Does she read in her primary language? It seems silly to lump her in with the rest of your group if what she needs is to be taught English. If it's decided that you're the only one who can support her then she should be getting support one on one or with other ESL students if they exist. Putting her in a group of other students who need reading support but speak English is not beneficial to anyone. It will keep you from giving anyone the support they need.
Lillybabe is offline   Reply With Quote