Help

ESL/LEP

G/T ESL student

>

Relevant

G/T ESL student
Old 12-22-2007, 08:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have an ESL student who has been identified as G/T. They have only been in the states for about 2--3 years, and she struggles most in reading comprehension. Does anyone have some teaching/learning strategies or activities they would be willing to share with a first-year teacher so I can better assist her in reading comprehension?

Relevant is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

What grade/age?
Old 12-22-2007, 09:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

..and dos she have diffculty with comprehension as a skill or comprehension in English? These are two different things. Can she read and comprehend in her first language? If so, then it's not a comprehension problem, it's a language problem. Immersion in language/vocabulary is the best help at that point. Also, I've used with my Spanish speaking students i've used stories that are written in both English and Spanish. We can use the English for readiing orally, fluency, vocabulary.. but they have the Spanish version to refer back to for assistance with questions about comprehension. Their non-English speaking parents also appreciate the stories because it allows them to help with homework :-)

If she's been in school for two or three years and can't comprehend in either language, then it could be a reading disability... the fact that she's GT doesn't mean she can't also be LD.. my own child is gifted with a reading disability.
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Laura

We have many ESL and GT students
Old 12-24-2007, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I find that students who speak more than one language have used parts of the brain that stimulate learning. These students often tend to be both ESL and GT. We have more ESL GT students than we have ESL needing help from the ESL teacher!
Laura is offline   Reply With Quote

Relevant

5th grade
Old 12-24-2007, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My student is a 5th grader, and I think it's the language barrier. She can speak fairly good English, but it seems she does not understand some (maybe a lot!) of reading passages that are assigned. Is the best way to help her simply to provide a lot of one-on-one assistance (e.g. asking her comprehension questions as she reads, insisting she use her electronic translator on reading assignments) and peer tutoring?
Relevant is offline   Reply With Quote

Laura

Work on practical English comprehension
Old 12-27-2007, 10:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Do not use only reading passages but do lots of conversation as well. Have some of the reading assignments be every day necessities as well (notes, directions etc). Practical is the key!

Laura is offline   Reply With Quote