Help

ESL/LEP

To esl or not

>

KJS

To esl or not
Old 03-01-2008, 08:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am considering obtaining an esl endorsement to my standard elem. license (NJ). I would appreciate any information that can be provided as to a typical teaching day, do you enjoy it more than reg. ed, what do you teach and how, are there jobs available or is it difficult to find one? Any advice/information about a typical ESL teaching job would be appreciated.

KJS is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherCarrie

Old 03-01-2008, 09:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am coming from a different angle on this question of yours.

I am almost finished with my ESL endorsement. In my district, we are all required to get SEI training. I decided to go ahead and get my ESL endorsement along with my grad degree in Multicultural Education so that I could get more from it.

In my district, we are all teachers of ESL classes because of our demographic. So, there isn't a huge difference for me and how I feel b/c it's the neighborhood I have taught in for the last 3 years, plus the other 2 years I taught during student teaching and part time teaching in California. I'm very accustomed to it and I love it to death. It's challenging at times but very rewarding because I tend to see more ups for the students who are learning English in their 1st-5th year of learning the language.

There is so much you can for these kids within teaching and the ESL endorsement classes I have taken have given a lot of additional tools!
TeacherCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote