ESL/LEP

AZ SEI vs ELL vs ESL Teacher

>

marcomay

AZ SEI vs ELL vs ESL Teacher
Old 01-09-2018, 01:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello all,

I need help because I am some kind of confused. I am an English teacher who moved to AZ in August; I have over 15 years of experience. I went for an interview for SY2018-2019 and the HR Manager was very, very, very nice and helpful. She said that I could open up my options more if I get an ESL endorsement but she asked if I already had my SEI endorsement. I have signed up for the SEI class so I will have that endorsement within two months. I see that there are SEI classrooms. What is the difference between SEI and ESL teachers? I THINK that it has to do with AZ law Prop 203 that states all students should be taught in English but I am trying to obtain a firm grasp of the differences. I know that ELL and ESL are different because English may not be the second but may be the third, fourth or more language that the student learns so it was felt that ESL was outdated. Unfortunately, I do not have as clear of an understanding of SEI and ESL.

Thanks,

Lisa

marcomay is offline   Reply With Quote

KimPossible27

Old 01-09-2018, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

All teachers in Arizona are required to get an SEI endorsement even if you don't specifically teach students learning English. SEI stands for Structured English Immersion, which is the model Arizona uses. The state requires that all EL students receive a 4 hour a day block of English language instruction. There is an K-12 ESL endorsement, which can take the place of the SEI endorsement. Are you a high school teacher? Maybe the ESL endorsement would allow you to teach the four hour block to high school students.
KimPossible27 is offline   Reply With Quote
ESLTeacher77

ESLTeacher77

SEI vs ESL vs ELL
Old 03-02-2018, 09:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

SEI is the support that all teachers should provide for non-native English speakers in a content-area classroom. ELL simply refers to "English Language Learners." This is any student who is learning the English language. ESL is a separate discipline with its own curriculum. ESL classes are required in most states. The Department of Justice gets involved if you are NOT properly servicing these students. The method used to provide services varies from 2 classes a day of English language instruction (Very different from ELA classes/curriculum/methodologies) to support in the classroom from an ESL-certified teacher.