Partner teacher tells me to prepare for the hell class coming in 6th hour - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Partner teacher tells me to prepare for the hell class coming in 6th hour

>

artladyhere

Partner teacher tells me to prepare for the hell class coming in 6th hour
Old 04-08-2018, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How do you even react to this?

Do you welcome the heads-up? Or loathe the time you have psyching yourself up for the class??

I used reverse psychology on the class and told them I was soooo excited for 6th hour because I heard they were Mrs. B's most favorite class!!

Guess what?!?!? Not one problem the entire hour!

artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Yikes...
Old 04-08-2018, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Whenever I hear those "warnings" I cringe and groan, hating life. But they usually aren't as bad as they sound. I find the worst classes are the ones you find out about on your own.

I greatly admire your optimism and patience -- Seems to be a dying thing these days!
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

mommysubs

Great Approach
Old 04-09-2018, 04:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That's probably the first taste of positive commentary those students have heard in a long time. They will probably request you as their favorite sub from now on! Nicely done!
mommysubs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

I thank them for the heads up....
Old 04-09-2018, 01:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

...and take it with a grain of salt. Sometimes it is, indeed, the class from hell. Other times it has a couple of mildly difficult kids but the overall class is fine. Sometimes it's a class that's so glad to see a different teacher, they're very good. You just never know what the situation is. And yes, often with the very worst classes in the very most difficult schools, you get no heads up because they're afraid you'll leave. (I sub at one school that frequently has subs show up once and refuse to ever come back. They've had a few walk out in the middle of the day.)

When I was a full-time teacher, I had one co-worker who complained about her class each and every year. It was always, without fail, the worst class she'd ever had. In point of fact, there were rarely classes from hell in that school. Most of the classes were small and usually there were only one or two real behavior problems in each class. It's all relative and it's all subjective.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Old 04-10-2018, 02:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Congratulations, artladyhere... I truly believe our own expectations are a major factor in the outcome. I once borrowed a line from Rita Pierson on a field trip and told the kids I was responsible for, "They put us together for a reason. You are the best kids and I am the best sub... we are going to have an awesome day!"

Same with individual kids. The kids I'm warned about are often not the problem. I appreciate the warning because it gives me a chance to let them know I expect great things from them.

MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

whd507

positive commenst usually work well
Old 04-12-2018, 07:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have found that if I praise them for any good thing, I get great results. I tell them that I expect great things out of such amazing people, and most of the time they do not make me regret it.
Today I had a tough group of 5th graders, and by the end of the day they were correcting each other becuase I told them that when they got loud, it disrespected them and the others. I tell them that they are far too valuable to waste on stuff like that, that they are irreplacable and I cant stand trashing things that have great value.

I'll pick a guy that looks like he likes cars and ask what his favorite car is, say a Hellcat Charger, so I ask if you had a $70,000 Dodge would you keep it safe or trash it? most will admit that keeping it in perfect condition would become their life mission, So I tell them that they are worth a billion times all the hellcats combined, so why would you protect a car and trash something far more valuable and irreplaceable? often you can hear a pin drop....
Usually I will get 95 % of the class on board quickly and one or two who think they are worthless. I will go to them and ask; "are you calling me a liar?" to which they usually backtrack really quick....

Tell them just how awesome they really are, becuase you may be the only person in their world that tells them the truth... if it isn't true, why teach? the great pay?
whd507 is offline   Reply With Quote