Help

Substitute Teachers

Bad day

>

mrsd5

Bad day
Old 04-24-2018, 12:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Okay, bad ONE period. Giving the Illinois Science assessment to 8th graders. They are an awful combination anyway. AND my schedule was changed so I was THREE different people. I knew I was going to be one teacher in the morning and another in the afternoon. That was planned. But nobody took an 8th grade ELA position, so I picked up two periods. Usually not a problem. I enjoy that teacher's classes. But I didn't have time to scope things out and prepare. Finally I called the office, and the 8th grade science teacher called me to tell me how to get the kids on line. Whew! But before that, they were moaning and groaning, arguing with me, and laughing. I lost it with one girl and yelled at her to shut up. I guess the ELA teacher next door heard and looked in my door. By then they had settled down. I shocked them. I apologized later and explained why I had lost it. A few kids came up and apologized later. Not the girl I told off, though. I apologized in private to her, and she seemed a little sorry. But just a little. Sigh..tomorrow I am a high school business teacher. Fun times. Glad it's an early release day.

mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

substeph

Ugh
Old 04-24-2018, 01:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

8th grade is a nightmare all the time for me. I don't understand why. I think it's the time of year too. The kids are off the rails lately!!!
substeph is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Spent most of my career in 8th grade
Old 04-24-2018, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

A place where the girls are a joy and the boys aren't... 7th grade, on the other hand. The girls AND boys just are NOT mature. And the DRAMA!

Tori58

Middle school, in general....
Old 04-26-2018, 03:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

....are both a joy and a misery. Sometimes they are capable of such enthusiasm and energy. Sometimes they are totally irrational. I've never noticed much difference between boys and girls as far as how big a headache they can be. This year, in my PT contracted job, the 8th grade boys are a joy and the 8th grade girls are rude, disrespectful and immature. The 7th grade boys are squirrelly and hard to manage but do a great job. The 7th grade girls don't give me much trouble but they also don't do much. The 6th graders are awesome across the board but in every district I sub for the 6th graders are giving everyone fits. Go figure.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

8th grade today a total turnaround!
Old 04-26-2018, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

They were a JOY! They worked quietly when that was the expectation. They took care of their supplies properly (I subbed one period in a class where they are building robots), and they were mostly polite! The one boy who always gives me fits tried to rile me up, but I showed him the sticky note that said, "'Johnny' to office to work quietly", and he sat down and worked quietly IN CLASS! It was so nice to see.