Help

Substitute Teachers

Praise God! A job!

>

cenWApara

Praise God! A job!
Old 04-18-2018, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

See? It finally took calling the sub coordinators and the secretaries. Now I've had my first real subbing job since January!

I filled in for a library paraeducator today at an elementary school in West Valley. It was great! Rather easy but I kept myself busy. Had two reading groups and three whole classes coming to listen to a story and check out books. My storytelling skills are great. I can change my tone of voice, cadence, accent, you name it and the kids loved it. Reading Dr. Seuss' The Lorax to the 1st graders was absolutely fun. When The Lorax was talking, I got quite loud, but the kids giggled and loved it. K kids got to hear a story about Earth Day and we had a brief discussion afterwards. 2nd grade listened to The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein. I'm quite good at barcode readers and pretty good with the basics of the Destiny library program, so at least my students' books weren't being checked in instead of checked out

Also did some recess duty, checked in and inventoried a bunch of books in between classes, and did patrol duty. The two 4th grade patrol kids I monitored today were so courteous and nice...they loved that I came in to sub.
At the same time, I almost had a job in Selah at the middle school, but had to turn it down because of this closer job. Things are looking up! Maybe tomorrow the trend will continue.

cenWApara is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Yay!
Old 04-19-2018, 03:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Congratulations... and it sounds like you had a great day! It is important, I think, to stay on the sub coordinators' and secretaries' radar...

I love how you approach reading... I do the same. I think it's important to be "large" when teaching in general... and have been known to "forget" and use my "kid voice" with adults.

Keep having fun!
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

KatrynG

God is Awesome!
Old 04-19-2018, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I love working in the library, and reading to students. And it sounds like you did a wonderful job and had a great day! Students really like the different voices used during storytelling, and they love checking out the same book to share at home.

Keep up the good work!
KatrynG is offline   Reply With Quote

cenWApara

Old 05-10-2018, 05:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm still struggling to find full-time work, but at least I can keep myself occupied today! I just got another job at the same school where I filled in for the library para. After 3 weeks of nothing but 1-on-1 positions that I had to turn down, I will be subbing in for a regular parapro today - not the same library para. They are in the middle of SBAC testing so I don't know *what* to expect! Possibly pulling out Sped kids to do the ELA test? Or monitoring classrooms? Maybe it's K-2 anyways and I'm just trying to do small groups as normal. I know she's not in the self-contained room for sure. Looking forward to another adventure!

cenWApara

Old 05-11-2018, 10:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

So it went well, but there were some struggles. The para I subbed for did small groups/pullout/LAP. 2nd graders worked in the STARS (Strategies to Achieve Reading Success) book and read a story. We also got through the spelling portion of that lesson. K kids read sentences, picked the picture that most represents the sentence, and colored in the picture. 4th graders read from 'Streams to the River, River to the Sea' (they are in the middle of a Lewis & Clark unit). The nine students who were in the group did very well with reading. I read a page at a time and they would read 2 paragraphs a piece, 'popcorn reading.' 1st grade worked in the STARS book, they read three small stories including one about a pet ram. 3rd grade finished the lesson marked in their books, and used whiteboards to prepare for a spelling test.

K, 1st and 3rd kids were difficult to handle at times, especially 1st who will be getting a talk from the regular para next time they meet. Disrespectful and interrupting me. But one of the 1st-graders who usually is difficult to handle, was a sweetheart yesterday. Opposite day I'm guessing?
Two of my three K kids were loud and even gave me a headache. The third one was quiet and good. One of my third-graders kept putting his face in his coat hood.
Yet the 2nd and 4th groups were a piece of cake, especially 4th. Also did recess and car duty after school, and that went well.
Hey, it's more $$$ and more experience with children. Love it!