Substitute Teachers

distraction is to create a diversion

>

Lumberman

Lumberman

distraction is to create a diversion
Old 05-12-2018, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So it's nearing the end of the year but I just wanna know how, in your experience, have students tried to distract you from having you do their work in class? Or better yet, how have you used this strategy to manage people under your supervision.

I had had students ask me things like what I do in my spare time to what my favourite shows on TV are. Their motive is to do an assignment that requires them to take a survey (yeah, right!!!).

MaineSub

Absolutely yes...
Old 05-13-2018, 07:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Perhaps in the same way I try to "trick" them into doing something because they want to and not because it's a requirement.

However, I do think there is a balance in this and it's not always easy to judge their motivation for asking what might seem like a distracting question. I do think (most) kids want to connect.

Rita Pierson says, "Kids don't learn from people they don't like."

We don't have to enter popularity contests but a kid who asks what seems like an "off the wall" personal question may simply and genuinely be interested. I think we need to handle that interest carefully. I try to cover a bit of that at the start of the day or class when reviewing my expectations with a couple of sentences about some things I like and some things I don't. While it's not very intimate, I'll also try to create a "bond" by asking the class questions like "How many of you...?" ("Today we going to learn about plants... I have a small garden where I grow... How many of you have a garden?) Little kids love to tell stories, so it can be challenging to manage the time and keep the focus.

I do have the advantage of working in the same relatively small school for a number of years, so most of the kids know me, at least in general terms. Still, how I manage it depends on age. A lot of times I "bribe" kids... "We can talk about what kind of music we like after we finish..." With older kids, I've suggested that once we finish the assigned work we can discuss/debate something they are interested in...
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote