Help

Substitute Teachers

Assigning jobs without asking

>

theatersub

Assigning jobs without asking
Old 05-03-2018, 10:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does this happen to anyone else? Sometimes I will just be plugged into a job (normally one that hasn't even been put on Aesop yet) without being asked first. Sometimes it's accompanied by an email saying that they've assigned me to the job and if it doesn't work for me, just cancel it, but sometimes there's no notice at all and I wouldn't even know about it if not for the notification I have to acknowledge on Aesop or Jobulator. It's very frustrating because sometimes I don't know my schedule from week to week and sometimes it's for a class or teacher I don't want to sub for again. Even being told that I can cancel if I need to doesn't really reassure me because I have high anxiety and am always worried about offending schools or admin (even though we have a sub shortage so I'm pretty sure that wouldn't happen.)

I have two days next week I cannot work so I went ahead and marked myself unavailable for them so they couldn't pull another fast one on me.

It's not that I mind being though of for jobs--I like it! Just ask me first so you don't give me a heart attack! Dos this happen to anyone else or am I the only one "lucky" enough?

theatersub is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Canít find a sub? Just sandbag one!
Old 05-03-2018, 01:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Wow, I’ve never had that happen, nor have I heard of such a thing from other subs in my district. Is this just at one school, or is it across your district?

I love the reasoning here: “if it doesn’t work for you, just cancel it”.. Uh-huh, and how long would it take before you got blackballed for cancelling jobs?

I’d have to talk to the sub coordinator and let them know I expected the courtesy of being asked if I want to accept a particular job, rather than it being assumed I’ll take whatever job they schedule me for.

ETA: That’s just what I would do, but I’m fortunate to be retired with a whopping pension so I don’t have to take every job. Several subs need to work as much as they can, in which case they might not be able or willing to have that conversation with the sub coordinator. In any event, a sub should certainly be accorded the courtesy of being asked whether or not they want to accept a job.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 05-03-2018, 02:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have a secretary who will put me in for jobs. If I can't take them I email her and she takes my name off. No repercussions, she just likes to use the same subs. I also have one or two teachers who do the same thing but I'm okay with it. I wouldn't like it if it wasn't a teacher I was familiar with or I only subbed for once or twice. Most teachers will email and ask me first.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote
Lumberman

Lumberman

Kinda flattering if
Old 05-03-2018, 04:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This has only happened to me one time. Fortunately for them, I liked the class so I didn't mind. However, common courtesy dictates that it's good to ask 1st.

Tori58

I have the opposite problem.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have a principal who will contact me via text message about a job and then fail to assign me in AESOP. Of course, if I don't get assigned, not only can I not fill out web time to get paid, I also am still getting notifications of other jobs going up for that day. It makes it more complicated for me to keep track of my schedule.

Quote:
sometimes it's for a class or teacher I don't want to sub for again.
I envy every sub who gets any say-so about this. Every district I sub for has, at some point this year, switched my assignment after I arrived. I don't try to dodge doing my fair share of "tough" classrooms, but I like a little time to mentally prepare.

Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Momjo

Reassigning
Old 05-03-2018, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You do know that a school really cannot legally reassign you to a different job that you signed up for, if you are being paid by a third party (Aesop). They may not do this without your permission! Ask Aesop! Let the school know.
Momjo is offline   Reply With Quote

YayaSub

Old 05-04-2018, 04:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Ugh, I would not appreciate that. Do they not realize that forcing you to cancel an unwanted job may keep you from accepting another job you do want? (At least in my district, canceling too late makes it impossible to accept a different job for that day.) At a minimum, it prevents you from viewing other job opportunities while you are assigned to that one.
YayaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Are you sure this is true in every state?
Old 05-04-2018, 04:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
You do know that a school really cannot legally reassign you to a different job that you signed up for, if you are being paid by a third party (Aesop)
Only one of the districts I that I work for contracts with a separate agency for subs but they are the worst offender in this respect. I have reviewed everything they gave me about what is and isn't allowed and haven't noticed anything regarding this but I haven't called them to ask about it. Actually, I guess I probably could refuse if I were insistent about it. Generally I arrive there and the receptionist tells me my assignment has changed and to talk to the principal if I have questions, which I guess qualifies as my opportunity to refuse. But, as I said, it's not that there are a lot of jobs that I just won't do - I'd just like a little heads up if I'm going to spend a day with the most difficult class in the school. Or if I'm going to sub for art instead of music, I'd like to know that when I'm dressing in the morning.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

spedder1

one teacher
Old 05-04-2018, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

One teacher put me in a couple of times, which I then rejected because I couldn't work. I finally talked with her and gave her my phone number so she could call and ask or text and ask. I talked with her the other day (I've known her for almost 20 years) about subbing next school year. Her special ed classroom and another from her school will be moving to the same school that my old classroom and primary special ed classroom are moving to. I told her that I planned on being the primary sub in those classrooms, which delighted her. Hopefully it will work out that way.
Kathy
spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

lisajohnljc

Be careful about cancelling...
Old 05-04-2018, 08:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Be careful about cancelling, even if they put you in without asking you first.

They say we can, but you know they hold it against us when we do, and then we get less and less jobs offered, and maybe even blacklisted! I've seen it happen!
As subs, we really can't win here! We're damned if we do, damned if we don't!

lisajohnljc is offline   Reply With Quote

Nietzsche

Old 05-06-2018, 02:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Quote:
Momjo 05-03-2018 09:28 PM

You do know that a school really cannot legally reassign you to a different job that you signed up for, if you are being paid by a third party (Aesop). They may not do this without your permission! Ask Aesop! Let the school know.
Aesop doesn't pay you anything. Aesop (now Absence Management) is a software product used by school districts and outsourcing companies such as Source for Teachers and Kelly Educational Staffing.

Quote:
lisajohnljc 05-05-2018 12:26 AM

Be careful about cancelling, even if they put you in without asking you first.

They say we can, but you know they hold it against us when we do, and then we get less and less jobs offered, and maybe even blacklisted! I've seen it happen!
As subs, we really can't win here! We're damned if we do, damned if we don't!
The districts around me can't get enough subs for the average of $90/day that they pay. No district is offering less and less jobs or blacklisting subs.
Nietzsche is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 05-06-2018, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Yes, this happened to me last month. The sub coordinator assigned me a job without asking first ON A NON WORK DAY. Yes, I already had the day set as a non work day and was assigned to work that day anyway (a week ahead of time). I cancelled the job right away and even called the sub coordinator and politely asked her to please check with me first, before assigning me a job. But I thought she had some nerve assigning me to work on a Non work day.

There are some terrible subs in my district and even they dont get blacklisted. I guess when the school districts are desperate, the district takes whoever they can get.
NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

mommysubs

I get moved to something more challenging...
Old 05-17-2018, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

...which is frustrating to me, because I am per-diem. I don't know the kids as well as the building subs, but if I have chosen one job on aesop, just because a building sub doesn't want to take the more challenging job shouldn't mean that I get switched out of the job I chose first fair and square (without my say so) and get stuck with the job they don't want every. single. time. To top it off, the building subs are elementary certified, which I am not, so shouldn't they have the assignments that would demand more of an elementary-type teacher, like a kindergarten class? Why move me from fifth grade to kindergarten when I am certified secondary and there are people in the building more qualified to work with the kindergarteners? Why bother making the 5th grade job available to me when you are just going to switch me anyway? So frustrating!
mommysubs is offline   Reply With Quote