Help

Substitute Teachers

Thinking about not subbing next year

>

lisa53

Thinking about not subbing next year
Old 05-25-2018, 02:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Because my dh was diagnosed with cancer in September, I have only subbed once this entire school year.

I am a retired science teacher and for a couple of years after retirement I enjoyed subbing for science and math teachers because I was able to actually teach (if needed), and many of my friends were still teaching at my school, so I got a chance to see them. It was helpful to the science department especially, because if I subbed they could relax and know that learning would take place in their absence. If a teacher got sick and their class was in the middle of a two day lab, they could be confident that I could cover and the kids could still safely finish up the lab work, for example.

Teachers in the department have been asking if I will be subbing next year. I am thinking that it's time to stop, though. My dh feels good right now, but there's a good chance that he could become very ill before the year is out. I have a little (one or two days a week) job at a museum during the warmer months. I don't need the money. I hate having to wake up at 5 am and get out the door by 6.

But I know, as a former science teacher, how helpful it is to have a competent science teacher available as a sub. I feel bad that I am leaving them...

lisa53 is online now   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

care for yourself
Old 05-25-2018, 03:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think that as you are still trying to transition to full-on retirement, you need to make sure that you keep taking care of yourself and the ones you love more so now than ever before. People will understand and they carry on. If your spouse doesn't have this condition, would you still sub or do volunteer work?
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

Quit
Old 05-25-2018, 05:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Like you said, you only subbed one day, so Iím pretty sure they will be able to manage without you. I pray your husband recovers and that you enjoy time off together.
CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 05-25-2018, 08:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Although I know your school would love to have your expertise, you have earned the time off. Enjoy life while you can.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 05-25-2018, 02:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Do what is best for you and your husband.

Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

spedder1

Thinking of winding down.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

The special ed classrooms are moving to a different building. It's a good school and the P has a special ed background. I have actually worked with her in the past, but she was in special ed as an administrator at the time. She is wishy-washy when it comes to addressing issues, so it will be interesting to see how she is with 4 new special ed classrooms added to the building.
I am thinking of only subbing there and at my old school. I would like to keep the school that will be getting some of my old students, but there is one student who is quite violent and stalks me. Not sure I want to put myself through that. I just bought a new car, though, and I could put my sub money toward that and get it paid off quickly.
Like you, I know that it is rare to find subs in my area of special ed (severe/profound) that are competent and will to actually teach the children. That's what keeps me going.
I wish you the best.
Kathy
spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 05-25-2018, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Life is way too short to have regrets over not spending more time with your family, especially if you donít need the money. The teachers will understand, and theyíll manage, just as they did before you retired and started subbing for them. Best wishes to you and your husband.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Echo...
Old 05-26-2018, 03:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I would echo what most have said and add that I believe it was Eleanor Roosevelt who said, "No one can make you feel guilty without your permission."

If not, she should have!
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 05-26-2018, 04:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I guess I am beginning to leave the chemistry teacher part of me behind. A kid just contacted me for tutoring, which I doubt he really needs...he is going in to his sophomore year of college and going to take intro to chem. Wants a review of AP Chem that he took junior year. Iím pretty sure he can do that on his own, and I am not interested in doing for him what he can do for himself. So, no. (And, I donít know the kid...one of his high school teachers gave him my name). No guilt, but a year ago I would gladly have done it.
lisa53 is online now   Reply With Quote