Help

Substitute Teachers

Maternity leave

>

Gr8Profession

Maternity leave
Old 05-23-2018, 09:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I agreed to work for a teacher who was on maternity leave. She is very kind and has a good class. She had to go on bed rest so I have been with the class 3 weeks longer than expected. I'm a veteran licensed teacher and I am enjoying being in the same class every day. My husband and I moved to this state in October.

I asked and asked for a key to the classroom when I was first assigned. They couldn't find one and even though they promised, I eventually stopped asking. I just go to the office each morning and get the secretary's keys to unlock the door. I don't have access to take attendance so I send a note to the attendance secretary each day. No big deals.

This week I have been asked to do special ed paperwork for a couple of students and have been asked (by the counselor) to input grades for a couple of students. I have explained to them that I am happy to help but I have no access to any computer programs and I have not been trained/shown how to do these things. The teacher I'm replacing told me early on that she would be doing all the grades.

Should I be stepping up more and trying to do this paperwork? I feel like I've been totally on my own with everything as far as lesson plans, snacks, Mother's Day gifts, etc. It's been great for me, I admit! I can't imagine asking someone who was subbing for me to do report cards or other professional paperwork.

What do you think?

Gr8Profession is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 05-23-2018, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Simply no. I was in a similar position 3 years ago with a 5th grade class that needed all sorts of evaluations done for middle school placement. I too, did not have access to the attendance or grading software nor did I have a district email. I would come in most mornings to a mailbox full of print outs from the regular teacher's email requesting one thing or another. I took anything regarding IEP's to the resource teacher and took the rest to the principal and asked her how to proceed. I ended up administering various math placement tests and turned over the tests to the principal and someone from the office inputted them into the system. To this day I have no idea how report cards were done.
Tapdancesub is online now   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

no training = no output
Old 05-23-2018, 02:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That's right, say no because you were not given adequate training and you're only there as a temp so refer it all back to the principal. In fact I would just let them know to talk with the admin. Don't even ask to be trained as a way to step up because any moment now, the regular teach could be back.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Don’t touch Sped paperwork
Old 05-23-2018, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

with a 10-ft. pole. As a former Sped teacher, I can’t believe (well, actually I can) that this district would expect you to do Sped paperwork as a sub. Nope, nope, nope. They could get in big legal trouble, and so could you. You’re not the teacher of record for that class.

Input grades? Welp, how about you give me access to the grade book, along with some training, throw in that classroom key I should’ve had on the first day, and we’ll talk.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

In general...
Old 05-24-2018, 02:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Because you are a veteran licensed teacher... I'd say, go with your instincts. Obviously, long-term subbing is going to be different than a day or two. Since you seem happy with your lot, I wouldn't be too worried about doing too much.

I can't speak to the special ed paperwork... there are some "depends" on my mind. I'm not sure I understand the grades thing... if the regular teacher agreed to handle that and nothing about that has changed...

Personally, I like to step up to the tasks at hand in the interest of being helpful. I've never been a "work to rule" sort of person. (That doesn't mean I don't follow the rules; it means I'm willing to go above and beyond what's required.) I think we work for ourselves as well as our employer... and in education, we are ultimately working for the kids and their parents. The challenge is to keep everybody happy.

I assume you are having some sort of on-going dialog with the regular teacher... even if it's just a once a week email exchange? If not, I'd create it and treat her like my boss for the most part. As you said at the beginning of your post, "I agreed to work for a teacher..."

MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Not to scare you, but
Old 05-29-2018, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I started DEMANDING a classroom key and citing the reason why. In the Newtown shooting, most of the students and the one substitute teacher shot were in an unlocked classroom. I found reminding the office of that fact gets me a key, even if they have to go and get one made.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote