ESL/LEP

Help with activities

>

eslhelp22

eslhelp22

Help with activities
Old 11-02-2018, 07:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a student who just came to the US. They know very little English. I was having the student work on a ESL program on the computer from the district but the student hates it and my principal told the parents they no longer needed to do it.
I teach 2nd grade and when my students come in they always do a self starter. Obviously they can't do the work so any ideas of what I could have them do during that time? Sometimes I give them a book to read (basic) or practice handwriting but would like something more to help them.
They also are having a hard time adjusting to school. They are crying all the time. Right now the mom is coming in everyday and sitting with the student for an hour. I am trying to help but in all my years of teaching I'm really at a loss. Any advice or input would be helpful.

WGReading

Old 11-02-2018, 02:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

One thing I would suggest, especially if you don't have many monolingual students that are true peers to this student (or speaking the home language) is to create a laminated sheet with labels for people and places your student will see and go to. Our ESL teacher has these for our new students that she works with (most of whom are refugees with no English and who have never been in a school of any kind before). It includes a picture of classroom teacher & name, secretary, principal, school nurse, specials teachers, etc. Photo of cafeteria, gym, library, etc. And pictures of a bathroom, drinking fountain, person who looks like they don't feel good, so they can ask for things they need like that. Our ESL teacher has found the card/paper to be really helpful especially for students who have a hard time adjusting to all of the changes.

In terms of what the student could do as an entry task, anything that practices skills they need to work on would help. Can they write their name legibly? Do they know upper and lowercase letters and which go together? Are they starting to blend? If the student seems outgoing, you might consider asking another student to be a mentor and help with things like, practicing letters and sounds or blending.

If you want to continue using the computer, you could find audiobooks with the text shown on the screen and pictures that the student could listen to.

Just a few ideas. =)
WGReading is offline   Reply With Quote