Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

4's & 5's napping

>

tchrtonya

4's & 5's napping
Old 04-08-2008, 05:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do your students nap? If so for how long? We head to the nap room at about 12:30 , but the first kids don't drop off until 1:00. I stay in and read the first round of books with individual kids, but then head off to do planning and the such. Each student gets two or three books read to them at their cot or with a friend.

How does your naptime start?

Do they nap in Kindergarten too?

tchrtonya is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby07

Old 04-08-2008, 12:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We don't nap in our pre-K, because it's a half-day program. But we do nap in Kindergarten -- it's full day! Kind of ironic, huh? The Kindies don't actually *nap*, but they *rest*. I guess it is different.
Ruby07 is offline   Reply With Quote

treetoad

treetoad
Old 04-08-2008, 07:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

in our preschool they lie quietly for half an hour -then the teacher quietly passes out tubs with books, a hand held game abd a white board with marke. They must remain on their cots and quietly use their tubs. works very well for them. Teacher works at the computer or documentation work.
treetoad is offline   Reply With Quote

Valone

Old 04-10-2008, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I teach 4-year-old kindergarten,
The children are at school two full days a week. They have 'quiet time; for an hour sem. 1 and 1/2 an hour sem. 2.

Occasionally someone falls asleep, but seldom. I think more of them sleep on the bus on the way home.
Valone is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceK

Old 04-14-2008, 10:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

At our full-day preschool (3-4yo), kids nap for 2 - 2 1/2 hours -- sometimes 3 if the teachers feel like it (my child goes there, I am not thrilled with that long of a naptime- makes for a super-late bedtime and a lot of trouble falling asleep).

At the full-day K, kids have a 10 minute "rest" after lunch. Heads down, quiet time. No nap. When I taught full-day K, there were no naps allowed, as it was seen as a waste of the money being spent to extend the day.

GraceK is offline   Reply With Quote

AggieKat77

Napping using ECERS Guidelines
Old 04-27-2008, 12:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I teach Pre-kindergarten in a Northwest Louisiana school and we are visited yearly by ECERS (Early Childhood Environmental Rating Scale). My students are at school a full day, 7 hours. ECERS tells us to have our children nap 75 minutes. Our nap time is after lunch and in our classroom. Most times I play soft music to help them go to sleep. Sometimes I read to them. As long as they stay quiet and dont bother each other, I don't harp on them about falling asleep. Usually after they lay still for about 15-20 minutes, they fall off on their own. I use this time to work on lesson plans and such.
AggieKat77 is offline   Reply With Quote

dulcimerfun

Nap? Yes!
Old 05-16-2008, 10:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We have PreK4-K5, with one 6y/o included. I start with story time all together. Then they lay down for quiet time. I usually play some type of story with songs, or just music cd. Usually down 45 min, but might be 60 sometimes. Usually they all fall asleep within 15 minutes. Rarely they do not sleep. These are all kids that don't nap at home. Some times they complain but most always fall asleep. Their bodies truely need the rest.
dulcimerfun is offline   Reply With Quote

tchrtonya

thanks
Old 05-16-2008, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I appreciate all the responses. I know we are a small group here in the Pre K as PTers go.

I sincerely think I am going to change the system of how we prepare the kids for sleep for next year. I have two assistants that stay with the kids while they settle down and head off to sleep, but the minute I leave the room I literally hear the kids bouncing off the walls. (my office is right next to the nap room)

I think I am just going to move to the whole group reading and then time for sleep with some music or stories playing in the background. That is how they do it in the Kinder here so I guess it is good preparation.

Thanks again.
tchrtonya is offline   Reply With Quote

Wise1

Old 05-18-2008, 03:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I teach 3-4yr olds and they go down for nap around 12:30. They are normally all asleep by 1. Occasionally there is one student that is still awake. I play soft music and they fall right to sleep!
Wise1 is offline   Reply With Quote