Help

Gifted Education

Why why why??

>

yesteach

Why why why??
Old 01-07-2009, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

OK, so in a way it's a vent, but it's a GT vent, so I put it here because I'm thinking those who frequent this board will be more understanding of my plight!

WHY do homeroom/classroom teachers not understand about pre-testing, placing out, replacement work??? WHY!!!!

I have a child.. a BRILLIANT child... who is working, IMHO, about 3-4 years above his current grade level... he is bored silly! He is with a classroom teacher who has been to all the training, she's been told/taught about differentiation and pretesting and "different, not more" and she stood here today with the child and his parents and said "I know you already know how to do it and it's boring, but you have to do it anyway, and then I'll find you something else to do.. " and then the line that makes me want to scream "Going to GT is a privilege..." NO, it's THE LAW!!!!!!!

This child spends more time in detention than he does in class because he refuses to do the work... so he misses class time to sit and do work he already knows how to do...

Any suggestions, other than just grit my teeth and cope.. and the teacher next year (they're clustered with a teacher whose done GT training, and there's only one in the next grade level) isn't any better... I just keep hoping when they redraw district lines this summer, he ends up on another campus..

yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Firebelly

What's your role in this situation?
Old 01-15-2009, 01:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This is tough. It's sooooo frustrating to see something like this happen with a student. As a classroom teacher, I receive very little support with differentiating for my students. Our TAG support person is fantastic, but extremely overloaded. I have been able to offer "different" to my upper level students in both math and spelling. As far as the other subjects, I plan open ended project type work whenever I can. A few times, we've had students who had went to the middle or high school for specific classes. I know that what I can do for TAG students isn't the absolute best solution for them, but I am trying.

Some people just don't recognize when it is boredom that is motivating misbehavior as opposed to misbehavior for other reasons. Have this students parents communicated with the admin or school board? Is the principal willing to see the misbehavior as possibly linked to boredom? I've heard many teachers over the years say that parents are just looking for a way to excusing the behavior.
Firebelly is offline   Reply With Quote