Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

2.5 - 3.5 yr old class, need advice?

>

Funbee

2.5 - 3.5 yr old class, need advice?
Old 02-08-2009, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

HI EVERYONE, I am a preschool teacher at a daycare center, so 8 hours a day..... I just moved from 4 yr old class to this one at a new center, and the age is younger., however all are potty trained...

I am thrown off because some of these kids kick, scream, throw fits, and scream NO!!!! in my face. With 18 kids ( with an aid ) and half of them doing this, its just crazy. In my old center, that behavior would not be tolerated and child would go to office , but those children were also a little older. I have children of my own, but none of them ever kicked me, hit me, or screamed NO in my face ......... much less to anyone else in their life !!

We had some kids that misbehaved every day at my other center, but they were manageable with rewards, time outs, ect. The kids in my new class, if need to be removed from a situation, just say NO and refuse to move. Or refuse to look at you. When you move them yourself, you get kicked or hissed at and have to listen to them screaming while you try to do circle time...

I tried giving helping roles but the kids all want to be IT, and cry and push if they cant, and dont understand next time or next week.......
any advice ???

I'm sure in the next couple weeks I'll figure it out...

Funbee is offline   Reply With Quote

vic

Old 02-08-2009, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It sounds to me like they did not have any boundaries or expectations before you came. It will be like starting over I think for you. The first month will be hard for you. I hope your aid is on the same wave length as you are.. I would start by setting down some ground rules and really enforcing first of all that those type of behaviors will not be tolerated in your class. How is the adminstration or director of this day care...I hope they are supportive. I would give a lot of praise to the kids that are behaving and trying to learn-hopefully this will help the others to start following those types of behaviors. Let us know how it goes..will be praying for you.
vic is offline   Reply With Quote

thiswayup

same here
Old 02-09-2009, 06:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I thought my 3 year olds were the only ones like this.
I have had them for several months now. I have rules and consequences and rewards.
Most get it, some still do not. It is frustrating because there are a few kids who come only so many days a week and they are the ones who "act up" ALL THE TIME and the whole group dynamic changes.
It is not fair to the ones who "get with the program".
Sometimes talking with the parents helps and sometimes it doesn't.
We have a paper that I fill out on each child that is given to the parents at the end of the day, tells how much they ate and slept,etc.
I also have room to write any notes about behavior.
Do you find that the kids who behave this way are the ones who do not get much attention at home or who are not disciplined at home?
I'd like to stay in contact with you. It has been hard for me, my own children were not like this and I come from teaching K and subbing all grades.
thiswayup is offline   Reply With Quote

Boulderbabe28

I'm glad it's not just me!
Old 04-01-2009, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My 3s seem to be very similar to this ( 10 boys and 3 girls). SOme things that worked for me:
- A very structured routine, posted in the classroom at child level ( I used pictures to represent each activity)
- A "helper chart" where there was a job for everyone. Each child had the same job all week, and it was a big deal on Mondays to see which new job you would get.
- I often ask a child once or twice to clean up, line up, etc. If they don't respond, I say " Alright, you have a choice. You can come by yourself or I will come over and help you. WHat do you choose?"
- Especially with boys, I make it a game or competition. I had a boy today who wouldn't clean up the blocks until I started singing a nonsense song about how I was going to win because I was so much faster and I could clean faster, etc. He's never moved so fast!
- The emotional maturity of this age is extremely varied and always in flux. I find that breaking them into smaller groups ( strategically separating "problem pairs") really helps.
- Lots of parents still treat this age like babies ( I have several still in cribs and using baby forks at home! OMG!!). That being said, tantrums probably work a lot at home. I have 2 students in particular who love to scream and cry over anything ( a shoe fell off, they didn't get a toy, etc). Once I've made sure they are safe, I say "I see you're really sad. That's a bummer, is there any way I can help?" If they continue to scream, I invite them to go to the cozy corner, then I ignore them. It some days wears on my nerves, but if I give in once, the tantrums will escalate.
- Some kids love to " write a letter". Often when one child misses a parent or is upset, I ask them if they'd like to write a letter to mom or dad about it. They often agree. Case in point: A potty trained boy refused to leave the bathroom and wanted to wear a pull-up belonging to another child. When I asked him why, it was because it had Diego on it. I said" I'm sorry, I can't let you wear that pull-up. Maybe you'd like to write a letter to mom terlling her you'd really like some DIego underpants?" He reasily agreed and took off for the table. I made sure to let his mom know, and wasn't he surprised when he woke up the next day to a package of Diego underpants!

Hope this helps!!
Boulderbabe28 is offline   Reply With Quote