Help

Gifted Education

Testing

>

yesteach

Testing
Old 08-26-2006, 06:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm just curious, what tests do you all use for identification? Our district uses several, primarily OLSAT, ToMags, Naglieri and CogAt. Anyone using anything else?

I teach in a very low socio-economic area, and it seems that we have VERY few kids qualifying using these tests. I'm wondering if there are some that might be better for the population we are working with? Thoughts??

yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

MaureenC

testing
Old 09-02-2006, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We do our own screening for every kgt student in our school and every first grader. Research often says kids hide their giftedness so catch them early. We do a creative draw, a short analogy activity and some pattern block cards with diff. types of symmetry to screen.
Then we use SAGES K-3 for primary kids and then a WASI for 6 yr olds (NNAT for 5yr olds). We used the NNAT for a short period of time and we not happy with the results/correlation to WISC test. Felt we were only finding highly visual kids...not the balance found with the IQ

For our 2nd through 6th graders, we use three things:
Slocumb Payne Teacher Inventory
SAGES 4-8
and then if they qualify on the SAGES, a WASI IQ test

Basically...we use a matrix with these three things on it
MaureenC is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

Slocumb
Old 09-04-2006, 03:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Just curious.. do you also use Slocumb's Environmental Opportunity Profile? Do you do the parent interview?

Our district "says" they do it.. but they don't. I actually am attempting to complete one with a student now that I believe is gifted, yet tests aren't showing that he is...

thanks for your input. I looked at SAGES, and bookmarked the page.

MaureenC

Slocumb's Enviromental Opportunity Profile
Old 09-04-2006, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

No...at least not yet. This is the first year we have used the teacher inventory. We wanted something in lieu of the Woodcock/Johnson. We felt that teacher input and knowledge of child would be helpful. We'll see how it goes after this year!

Mrs. D.

Testing
Old 09-05-2006, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We use the WISC III. Unfortunately, the only thing we really look at is IQ. First graders take the OLSAT at the end of the year. If they score high enough, they will be referred for further testing. Other than that, parents or teachers must make a request for a child be tested. Standardized tests are then examined, and a judgement call is made as to whether or not an IQ test should be done. We don't have a matrix or any kind of checklist, just the IQ test.

If there is a child you believe should be in the program you might be able to get a Plan B placement. Basically, it is set up so that children of minority and low socio-economic status get placed in the program. You would have to ask the counselor or psychologist for the details. All I know is that the scores are lower, but I don't know by how much. I have a child in my room who qualified that way, but I wasn't there at the time, so I don't know all of the details.

Mrs. D. is offline   Reply With Quote

MaureenC

testing
Old 09-05-2006, 07:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We used to just use the IQ scores too....and felt our lower socio-economic kids were getting left out. We feel we are more equitable screening every single child and not just waiting for a teacher recommendation. Often times, some of the gifted kids go unnoticed when they don't fit the "norm"....

yesteach

thanks
Old 09-09-2006, 08:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I've gone over Slocumb's stuff (our superintendent likes Slocumb, he conducted the beginning of year inservice for our district two years ago), and think I'm going to suggest using that, along with either SAGES-2 (which is a combination of all the other SAGES put together, and according to the sale pitch, easier to use across the grade levels) or UNIT (anyone familiar with this? I got it from another list I'm on).

The thing I liked about UNIT is, it offers three levels of testing - abbreviated, standard, and extended versions. I thought the abbreviated would be really good for younger students and those with attention issues... standard for the majority...

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions... I've just been very frustrated the past few weeks doing this testing.. when I see first/second graders get to the end of a test and they're just marking answers to be done because it's so long and they're tired of doing it... could be why we don't have many qualifying!

thanks again!