Kindergarten

1/2 day kindergarten

>

dlmnoe

dlmnoe

1/2 day kindergarten
Old 03-20-2010, 07:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We are 1/2 day kindergarten. Any thoughts on a daily schedule to fit in everything?

Mud Pie

Good Luck
Old 03-20-2010, 09:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You can't fit in everything. You have to make choices, keep the parents informed and give the children goals. Every year is different. I work with needy children. The attendance is terrible and tardiness is a problem. Many children move from school to school. The standards are high and the curriculum is demanding.It is expected that my class size will increase by ten to twelve students next year. Believe me when I say that I can not fit in everything.
Mud Pie is offline   Reply With Quote

Valone

Old 03-20-2010, 02:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Our district has been at 5 full days for 18 years. It was just impossible to get everything in. Parents don't have to worry about transportation to childcare.
Valone is offline   Reply With Quote

mossgirl9

Old 03-20-2010, 02:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree with PP. I do calendar in the morning where I cover math and language arts concepts. Then we do stricly language arts with a read aloud, guided reading, sight word development and phonics. After that, I do a 10 min p.e. with the kids. It helps with the wigglies. We come in and do a modeled writing lesson and student journal entry. Then it is time for buddy reading from our class library. Lunch is 20 minutes long. We come in and do math for 40 minutes and then I do centers for about 30 minutes. Then it is time to go home. I also work in a theme about every 3 weeks where we read a lot of non-fiction and do projects, etc. Hope that helps.
mossgirl9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Linn

I've always been 1/2 day
Old 03-21-2010, 10:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

and it is very frustrating to try and fit in everything...it really can't be done. Here is what our district says: the "big rocks" that need to be done each day are shared reading, writers workshop, guided reading and math. The "medium rocks" that should be done 2-3 days a week on alternating days are phonics/word work, interactive writing, small group instruction, and interactive read-aloud. The "small rocks" are your integrated curriculum that can be done 1 day a week or more (try to integrate into other areas) are science, social studies, P.E. health, fine art, assessment and holiday activities.
Here is my schedule. As you can see, calling it a half day is a stretch.
9:10-Children arrive
9:15-9:45 Whole Group Opening--attendance, flag, calendar, review of concepts, any math that can be fit in
9:45-10:15
Mondays: small group instruction--4 rotating groups
Tuesdays-Fridays Centers (16 centers are set up--each day the children rotate through 4 centers so at the end of the week they have done all centers) I do guided reading while the children are working in centers.
10:15-10:30 Shared Reading
10:30-10:45 Phonics/Word Work
10:45-11:00 Recess
11:00-11:20 Math (we have already done a lot of math in calendar time so we only do 20 minutes more per day)
11:20-11:50 Writer's Workshop
11:50-11:55 Get ready to go
11:57 Dismiss
Believe me, I don't feel I do any one area perfectly but this is the schedule our district would like us to follow. Because of the economy, we will not be going full day any time in the forseeable future.I just try to do the best that I can. Good luck! Hope this helps.
Linn

Linn is offline   Reply With Quote

Meredith

Halfday schedule
Old 03-21-2010, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Halfday is so challenging-there is never enough time! My halfday schedule is very similar to Linn's. We do shared reading, guided reading, writing workshop, and math everyday. Everything else gets fit in occasionally during the week- I really try to integrate science and social studies into my literacy teaching and my centers.

I have 3 hours. My schedule is:
-Arrival and seatwork-15 minutes (kids do a handwriting practice sheet or letter review early in the year and independent reading later in the year during this time)
-Math- 15 minutes
-Calendar-10 minutes (a lot of math skills are fit into this time)
-Shared Reading- 15 minutes
-Interactive Writing-10 minutes
-Writing Workshop- 25 minutes
-Special Class - 25 minutes (art/music/P.E.)
-Centers-45 minutes (during this time I pull small groups for guided reading and word work)
-Recess- 20 minutes (sometimes we skip recess and do art, experiments, special projects, or theme work if I haven't found another way to integrate it into my schedule that week)
Meredith is offline   Reply With Quote

lovegrade1

1/2 day switching to full in Sept :-)
Old 03-22-2010, 09:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I can hardly wait. In 2 1/2 hours I just can't do all the things I want to do. My days are packed and it feels like a revolving door. One group goes out and the next comes in. I love my job but I am really looking forward to full day.
lovegrade1 is offline   Reply With Quote