Help

Fifth Grade

PSSA 5th Grade

>

IloveSteeler7

PSSA 5th Grade
Old 04-09-2010, 04:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do you think the 5th grade PSSA is harder than than the PSSA of other grades? It seems our scores are always lower in 5th grade and I know our teachers work really hard. Overall, we have noticed a drop across the state in 5th grade...any thoughts?

IloveSteeler7 is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsCroak

Old 04-09-2010, 07:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

i don't know if the 5th grade pssa is harder than the other tests, but i wonder if the jump from the 4th grade pssa to the 5th is a big jump, which might make for lower marks? just a guess. i taught 5th grade last year, and teach 6th this year, and they are both compatible. the only difference i have noticed is the length of passages are much longer than they were last year in 5th -- however, it's possible that all passages across the grades are longer, so i'm not sure.
MrsCroak is offline   Reply With Quote

modean

Pssa
Old 04-11-2010, 02:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Our state tests are unreal for 5th grade. We have the usual reading and math, but also science as well. The math curriculum is HUGE! Some of the things that I have taught this year were totally new to me. My son said he had some of the geometry I was teaching when he was in high school. I have been very overwhelmed because this is my first year back in the classroom in a few years. I spend countless hours preparing, as I did as a first year teacher. I want so desperately for the students to do well but I am nervous about the tests. I have a great team to work with and they share a lot with me but I still worry. I think that many of the things that we are teaching are not developmentally appropriate but it looks like things are just going to get more difficult. Parents cannot always help their children at home either so that is also a problem. I am in NC and our reading passages are very long as well. This is a worry for me as our administrator said we couldn't do any DEAR time or silent reading in clas this year, and I think that it is a must if students are going to have to read the longer passages. Best of luck to you and your classes!
modean is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsCroak

Old 04-11-2010, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

first of all, i would be very unhappy without any DEAR time in my day. when my kids come in to my room, instead of giving them something busy to do, they settle down by settling in to a book. they NEED it, and i've had many parents tell me that their child is actually reading for pleasure for the first time.

the pssa is the PA state test, and they give Writing and Science to specific grades, much like in NC with the Science. I teach in a K-8 school, and our poor 8th graders have Reading and Math now, Science in a few weeks, and then Writing. it's crazy!
MrsCroak is offline   Reply With Quote

ladijen148

pssa
Old 04-12-2010, 07:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I teach 5th grade and I thought last year the test was very hard and a lot of the material was too difficult for my students. Although this year I think the test is very easy. My students were very happy because they knew a lot of the material. I think the PSSA is harder than the other test because they need to see if the students are actually meeting the state standards.

ladijen148 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachinpitt

Your screen name??
Old 04-12-2010, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I hope, after the recent incidents and released details, that your love for #7 is strictly for his on the field QB skills...I took down all my athlete photos after this miserable year for 'role models'...my kids noticed the Santonio Super Bowl pic missing, as well as all my Tiger pics...never had Ben up (know his reputation from living near him).

As far as PSSA...my kids seem to be doing fine...still trouble with open ended math explanations...Writing PSSA's next week...yea.
teachinpitt is offline   Reply With Quote

teachinpitt

Cynic here, but true perhaps...
Old 04-12-2010, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I wouldn't be surprised if this year's assessment WAS easier as a way to 'make the numbers' for NCLB in D.C. With millions at stake to states showing AYP, PA may have dumbed down the tests to inflate results...we have always been in the top as far as difficulty...but with the easier tests in alot of the southern states, we could lose out in some cash.
Not proven, but I wouldn't doubt it.
If Obama keeps his promise, a new, more reliable assessment may be coming our way soon!

sblack47

Old 04-12-2010, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
I hope, after the recent incidents and released details, that your love for #7 is strictly for his on the field QB skills...I took down all my athlete photos after this miserable year for 'role models'...my kids noticed the Santonio Super Bowl pic missing, as well as all my Tiger pics...never had Ben up (know his reputation from living near him).

As far as PSSA...my kids seem to be doing fine...still trouble with open ended math explanations...Writing PSSA's next week...yea.
I think my Troy P. poster will be safe!

As for the PSSA, I'd mapped out 3rd-5th grade math anchors one year just to see when concepts are introduced, and there were a ton of new things for 5th. A lot of fraction concepts were new.
sblack47 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachinpitt

43 is still the man
Old 04-12-2010, 06:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

He is my last bastion of hope for sports figures (maybe Sid the Kid). I use a Pittsburgh Magazine expose' about Troy as a non-fiction reading activity. His spirituality and work ethic are attributes I can only hope my lower SES classroom emulates.

Plus, he is fabulous with the local kids. If adults aren't lingering, he will play kickball with them, throw to them...

Carlowgrad

PSSA 5th grade
Old 04-13-2010, 10:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have been giving the PSSA for 2 years now to 5th grade. I have always said that the 5th grade test is harder. It seems that our 5th grade scores are a little lower than they other grades. With this new Race to the Top grant, I hope that the PSSA becomes more valid and fair across the board.

Carlowgrad is offline   Reply With Quote

pro/new2grade

3rd compared to 5th
Old 04-14-2010, 11:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I sit on our data team and was charged with looking at the data from the tests in our district and it does seem that every year the students in 5th grade go down in their PSSA raw scores. Then those same students go back up in 6th grade again. This year I am teaching 5th after many, many years in 3rd and I was shocked at how difficult the tests seemed, although my team mates tell me that last year the test was much worse. The third grade tests always seemed very fair, and while challenging they usually gave a pretty accurate account of student knowledge.
pro/new2grade is offline   Reply With Quote

nbcteacher

Really teachinpitt?
Old 04-14-2010, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

but with the easier tests in alot of the southern states, we could lose out in some cash.

Should I be offended by this? We test reading, science, math, and writing. There are written responses in reading, math, and science- not just mc. Let's just say that none of this is "easy"!
nbcteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

teachinpitt

no offense intended
Old 04-14-2010, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

sorry...i am just reciting research--and I have seen released samples of other tests...easier tests is by no means indicative of quality of teaching..it's not like the teachers create the tests..state ed. depts do. Hopefully, the newly adopted National Core Curriculum will equalize everyone.

I apologize for being so nebulous in my first post.