Fifth Grade

5th Grade Behavior Problems

>

newteach726

5th Grade Behavior Problems
Old 04-23-2010, 03:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi,

I am a new 5th grade teacher and my class is getting more and more out of control. At times, they are very well-behaved. Other times, they are rowdy and some show off and call out. I incorporate lots of engaging activities, but I used to be a lot stricter as a teacher. I think, as the year goes on, I've loosened up a bit just because I'm tired and probably a bit burnt out.

Today, I had a parent come in who teaches an art lesson once a month and the kids were saying things to each other across the room, to show off. I still have a month or so less and I do not want things to fall apart.

Any suggestions? THANK YOU

newteach726 is offline   Reply With Quote

gunther922

This is a tough time of year. A couple of
Old 04-23-2010, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

suggestions that I do: For whole class behavior I have a large thermometer at the front of the class. The students earn "degrees" by listening, not calling out, walking quietly in the hall, having their materials ready, etc. I always preface every lesson with a reminder of how they can earn degrees. I have been doing that for many years and I find it works very well. Once they reach 100 degrees they have earned 20 min. of free choice time on Friday. I have a list of choice time activities posted. Sometimes it takes the class 3-4 weeks to earn their reward, other times it may only take 2 weeks. The key is to not have it take too long for them to earn their free time.

For individual behaviors such as the calling out or talking with a classmate I will stand silently and wait as long as it takes. They also know this will affect their "degrees earned" I will also keep students after school. However, I will never take away any earned degrees. If a student is constantly disrupting the class I will then calmly let them know they are to see me after school. If it is their first offense I only keep them for a minute (so they don't miss the bus) and I write a note to parent in their assignment book, but the next behavior offense it is 15 minutes after school. It really does set the tone for the rest of the class when you keep a child after school. We can take their recess away but I would rather not because as you probably know they need that time to expend their energy! I communicated this behavior plan to the parents early in the year. Therefore if I contact them about their child's behavior I will keep their child after school for 15 minutes and that they must pick up their child. I found that keeping a child after school really does alleviate the behavior problems. I have only had to keep a couple of students after school the entire year. I truly believe the thermometer motivates them to do the right thing throughout the day. Sorry for this being so long! Good luck!
gunther922 is offline   Reply With Quote

whipper snap

whole brain teaching
Old 04-24-2010, 07:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Check out this site: www.##################.com
The site has many, many free downloads of classroom management ideas. A few teachers developed the materials. In one of the books, they talk about the need to have many layers to your classroom management plan because as the year goes on, the students get a little harder to handle. My students are getting a little bit off the wall right now with spring fever. I will be starting the next phase of my plan soon. I am going to divide the class into groups by rows or tables (haven't decided yet) and will assign a group leader to each group. The group leader gets to choose a friend to sit next to them. I will be challenging each group to be on their best behavior. I will tally points for each group. The group with the most points at the end of the week will earn a reward or if all groups are almost tied, the whole class will have free time. It is up to the group leaders to talk to any students in their group who are misbehaving and try to convince them to make better choices.
whipper snap is offline   Reply With Quote

whipper snap

web site
Old 04-24-2010, 07:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The site didn't post. To find it google: whole brain teaching chris biffle
whipper snap is offline   Reply With Quote

mwaters

Reward the positive
Old 04-25-2010, 07:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

At this point of the year, my fifth graders are done too. Testing is over, they know they've passed so they're going to sixth grade. To them the year is done. Around now I reward those students who don't get in trouble with a special lunch. They can come down to the classroom and eat lunch with me (or we go outside) and I bring in a special treat for them (popcorn, cookies, ice cream, etc.). That goes a long way with them. I have 27 students in my homeroom and those 5 left sitting in the cafeteria look pretty sad when the rest are getting their lunches and leaving.

mwaters is offline   Reply With Quote

teach93

5th grade behavior
Old 04-25-2010, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I agree that generally this time of year is a difficulty. I also reward the positive. I say things like, "I am so pleased that the second row is on the right page." That will get the rest going. I also have a tendency to discipline with humor. I am fairly strict. The kids know that when I say that it is time for quiet, there will be quiet. Another thing I do is rotate them to last in the lunch order. In our small school (two classes of each grade) we rotate lunch order with the 3rd and 4th graders. Going first is a very big deal. If we are supposed to be first and can't get our act together, I rotate them out to last. I then apologize to the ones who were doing what they were supposed to. Peer pressure is a great thing.

I also (as someone else mentioned) use the stand and wait method.

One of the things I started doing about 10 years ago was keeping a "behavior box". It is just a little cheap file card box. Each child has a card in the box. If a child has no recordings for the month (late homework, talking beyond the second warning, not keeping hands to self) then I give a treat. It might be a free 100, 20 minutes computer time or an extra recess where the offenders sit against the wall and the rest of us play.) It takes a few weeks to get them accustomed to the system, but now all I have to do is reach behind my desk and set it ON my desk for them to snap to. The best part is that I won't even say who I am irritated with.

One of our 3rd grade teachers has a neat system with a pocket chart. She puts a red, yellow and green card in each child's slot. Everyone starts the day with green, a turn to yellow means that they have been warned and red is no recess. She is very consistent with the system, and it works well for her.

Sorry this is so long, but one point I want to make is that at this time of year, even the veterans are fighting the same battle. You are simply fighting time and the season. All my kids are passing and they know it. Keeping them occupied and learning is my goal. One of mine asked me what date I would stop giving homework. I asked him what the last day of attendance was for the year.
teach93 is offline   Reply With Quote