Help

Fifth Grade

Textbooks

>

poodles

Textbooks
Old 04-25-2010, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was wondering how different teachers use their social studies textbook. I feel like it is a lot of overwhelming information and I am struggling with figuring out how to break it down and make it applicable and manageable for my students. Any suggestions/ideas? Thank you so much!

poodles is offline   Reply With Quote

teach93

textbooks
Old 04-25-2010, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

While we are not "technically" required to use our textbooks, it is very strongly recommended. (In other words, use the book.) We actually do have a very good book in that most of the lessons are only about 4 pages long. I do write my own tests, just including what I consider to be the information they need to remember the most. I then add a few bonus questions that contain the "pickier" information.

My school district has a subscription to Discovery's United Streaming, and I try to find a couple of videos for each chapter that my more visual learners enjoy. We watched an animated "Thomas Edison and Electricity" last week and one of my boys said, "You sure can learn a lot from a cartoon."
teach93 is offline   Reply With Quote

scitex

We have a great text!
Old 04-27-2010, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Our district has chosen History Alive! or now I guess Social Studies Alive! and I love it! There are lots of experiential activities and it really makes studying history more meaningful. I think their website is teachtci.com.
scitex is offline   Reply With Quote

poodles

textbooks
Old 05-01-2010, 06:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for your input! I wish we had a better program and access to United Streaming! I will continue to try to find ways to work around what we do have.
poodles is offline   Reply With Quote