Help

Fifth Grade

Measurement Conversions

>

cowpig

Measurement Conversions
Old 04-26-2010, 05:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My standard course of study states that students should estimate conversions between the customary and metric systems (like centimeters to inches, inches to meters, etc). I have no idea to how to teach this. I have spent the last couple of weeks converting within the systems hoping to build their benchmarks so estimating would be easier, however I'm not sure it did a lot of good. I'm thinking of having them do it exact using a calculator so they can see the relationships, then giving them problems to estimate. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

cowpig is offline   Reply With Quote

modean

measurement conversions
Old 04-27-2010, 07:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am in the same boat! This is my first year teaching 5th grade math and don't know much about this either. I do know that a teacher last year gave the kids exact measurements for conversions and they bombed their EOGs.
I also feel uncomfortable with the geometry....Do you have any tricks you could share concerning that? Thanks in advance, and I wish you the best with your tests and the school year too!
modean is offline   Reply With Quote

roundstanley

Same spot too
Old 05-01-2010, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm with you too. I found this fun idea for the vocabulary part at...
http://teachershare.scholastic.com/resources/12000

I am taking my kids outside to walk off various longer distances with both sets. I also use various size boxes, packages, bottles, and jars from the store to show comparable amounts, since almost all have both systems listed.
roundstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
susan

susan

exposure
Old 05-06-2010, 08:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

give the kids exposure to both. I collect all different sizes of bottles and containers that they see every day. I write on them with a sharpie the measurement. (2 Liters, etc.) I then hang them from the ceiling, all over the room. When you walk in you might wonder why there is a 7up can, a gatorade bottle, a yogurt container, etc. all hanging from the ceiling. It is to give them exposure to what they have to learn using what they already know.