Help

Fifth Grade

Multi-Step Problems Stumper

>

Meggie11

Multi-Step Problems Stumper
Old 05-02-2010, 09:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a group of 4 students this year who consistently stuggle with mutil-step math problems such as long division, adding/subtracting fractions with unlike denominators, and finding the surface area of a rectangular prism. I meet with these students often in small group in order to break down each step. We discuss why we need to do this and how it connects to a concrete model. I have tried assigning 1-2 problems each night for HW even once we have moved on to another subject. We revisit these types of problems as a whole class during our math warm-up as well. However, just as it seems like these kids are starting to get it, some step of the process gets forgotten or confused.

None of these students have learning disabilities. Two out the four do not know their multiplication facts, but are allowed to use a multiplication chart for multi-step problems.

I'm at my wit's end. I do not know how else I can reteach the material. Do you have any suggestions about what I should do?

Thank you.

Meggie11 is offline   Reply With Quote

JoSo

Contextual Problems
Old 05-03-2010, 10:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

i find with students that are struggling with math, its because they don't have a context to the problem. They see no real life application. They also by the sounds of it have a whole in basic fundalmentals of math. Without these tools they won't be able to solve the higher order thinking. What you might have to do is go back to basics, I know you don't want to hear that but for this group it probably is the best. They need their facts down. You can play math games to encourage strategy discussions. also have a group congress and have other students explain their strategies. Just a thought.
JoSo is offline   Reply With Quote