Help

Fifth Grade

Frustrated

>

spartyteacher

Frustrated
Old 05-06-2010, 06:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Today in our Daily Language Review, my students had to underline the complete predicate of a sentence - something we have been talking about since September. Only 1 or 2 of them did it correctly. I had them get their books out, reread the lesson, did another mini-lesson on subjects/predicates, and nouns/verbs. My point is, this is something they should know!!!! I just needed to vent, thanks for listening!

spartyteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

abc1234evr

I hear you...
Old 05-06-2010, 07:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

that has happenend in my classroom before...i use tickets in my room so I gave those children who got the answer tickets...it was amazing how many students of a sudden new more answers to my questions....
abc1234evr is offline   Reply With Quote

ajmm115

I'll duck
Old 05-06-2010, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

as I write this. Though I completely understand your frustration at the students not remembering something you obviously worked hard at teaching them, I have to add this. I taught subject/predicate for maybe ten minutes at the beginning of 7th grade, (it was in the grammar book) so students hopefully understood that sentences have parts. And then NEVER mentioned it again.

From then on we talked about subject/verbs/objects, phrases, clauses, etc. but never predicates. I just didn't see the point. Sorry to say that after all the effort you went to. But I could see no value in it other than to be able - maybe - to identify it.
ajmm115 is offline   Reply With Quote

cca

another method
Old 05-15-2010, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This won't help this year, but I have had more success in comprehension and retention when I compare the subject/predicate to team and team captain. Most of my students play some kind of sport and are familiar with teams. Of course, in this case the teams are not likely to be even and there may be a team captain. But, to get them to narrow it down to just the verb instead of the whole phrase or subject noun instead of all the adjectives that are in it, the idea of team vs team captain seems to stick. Hope this helps.
cca is offline   Reply With Quote