Help

Gifted Education

This is an interesting mix...

>

lionessmess

This is an interesting mix...
Old 07-21-2010, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

SO I am a departmentalized teacher - I have two sections of Math/Science - 3rd grade.

One of my classes is the GT class. This class will be a mix of on-level, a few below, and several GT kids, not sure how many though, 5-10!

The kids get placed in GT in second grade based on a test....so they differ in levels as well.

My question is, how on EARTH am I supposed to meet the needs of all of these students in one classroom in the limited amout of time I have with them?

Any advice?

lionessmess is offline   Reply With Quote

magoosmom

Old 07-21-2010, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When I taught in the regular classroom (4th grade) this was the type of class I would get every year (and our principal hasn't changed his policy much either). I had students who were special education level and students who were identified as gifted. Often I had reading levels that ranged from 2nd grade through 6th and math abilities were similar. But of course, it wasn't always the same students struggling in math as it was in reading and so on.

My best advice is to do centers A LOT. That was the *only* way I could make sure the students were getting what they needed. I could accelerate or challenge the gifted learners and remediate with the ones who needed more time. Trying to do whole group instruction only taught to the middle students and wasn't successful at all. With centers, I was able to give them the attention they needed.
magoosmom is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

Differentiation in Practice
Old 07-22-2010, 12:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This is a great resource for learning how to differentiate in a classroom. It's written by Carol Ann Tomlinson and Caroline Cunningham Eidson. You can get them for K-5, 5-9 and 9-12. The books are written to use for training teachers how to differentiate in the classroom. The first chapter explains about differentiation, what/why/how, and then the remaining chapters are actual differentiated units created by teachers that have been used in their classroom. It's broken down by standards/concepts/objectives, then a unit overview, then a detailed unit description and teacher commentary where they totally break down how to differentiated each activity.

I purchased these books to use for a training session this summer, and in the first session in June the teachers LOVED them. It actually gave them a complete differentiated unit that was their grade leve/content area to look at and dissect.

When you've never done it, it sounds so overwhelming.. but somehow seeing it broken down by daily lesson, activity, etc. in this book suddenly we had several who were saying "OOHHHH.. that's what you do... this isn't that hard!" I have LOADS of teachers who are now excited about getting back in their room and actually having some differentiated activities to start the year!
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote