Help

Daily 5

Word Work Question

>

TcherGurl528

Word Work Question
Old 09-14-2010, 01:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a 3rd grade teacher. I'm having trouble figuring out what I should have students DO during Word Work. For Homework, the students have their words written into a Word Study Notebook, and have a "menu" of choices available for them to complete. They must complete a certain number of points (I'm attaching the menu so it makes more sense). So what should the kids be doing during Word Work in the classroom? We use Words Their Way as our spelling program, so word sorts are an option. Last year I taught a 1/2, and so the kids practiced their spelling words on white boards -- Rainbow Words, Write Words 3 times, Word Stamps, etc. I could do this again, but don't know if it seems a bit...young?

Thanks!

Attached Files
File Type: doc Spelling Activites.doc (272.0 KB, 295 views)
TcherGurl528 is offline   Reply With Quote

hhokies98

Word Work
Old 09-14-2010, 01:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I also teach third grade. So far, I have kept spelling and word work seperate. We have been working on spelling sorts during morning work. I introduced word work this week. They have been using the ActivBoard activities for synonyms (which have also been my minilessons). I will probably continue using word work as ActivBoard grammar activities or sorts.
hhokies98 is offline   Reply With Quote

polkadotti

Word Work
Old 09-15-2010, 04:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I teach third grade too! I keep spelling and word work separate. Our team usually plans some paper and pencil choices for Word Work (Word Ladders, Word Sorts, etc.) for Word Work. Then when they finish they can play word games (Boggle, Scrabble, Grammar games, etc.). I hope that helps!
polkadotti is offline   Reply With Quote