Help

ESL/LEP

English Language Assessment in a foreign country

>

Ate Ray

English Language Assessment in a foreign country
Old 10-07-2010, 12:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am currently working in the Philippines to help develop an English program at a volunteer-based school. I basically have no money provided to me to get books and supplies, but am willing to spend a limited amount of my own funds to develop this program. The entire school (200+ students age 3 through 19) is ESL. Even the teachers are ESL themselves- except for two of us. Teachers currently teach mostly grammar, but struggle to put the grammar into practice- for themselves and their students. The school wants to eventually be globally competitive and I am here to help in that process.

The first thing I need is an assessment tool to measure the English proficiency levels of the students (and the teachers!). In the states, districts and the state provide this. Where/how can I obtain something like this here?

I'd like it to be one that I can train the teachers to use so that I don't have to spend my entire year here assessing students, and I can actually develop a program.

Also, any advice on things that are vital to include in developing this program is welcome!!

Ate Ray is offline   Reply With Quote