Help

Fifth Grade

review techniques for testing?

>

TeachbyGrace

review techniques for testing?
Old 04-08-2011, 06:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We have our MCAS Math and Science testing coming up in a few weeks. Anyone have any different and engaging ways to review for math?? (or science?) I'm just looking for ways besides practice tests, etc. that are also beneficial. Thanks!!

TeachbyGrace is offline   Reply With Quote

Wendy 31

Review for end-of-level testing
Old 04-16-2011, 08:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We play games as a whole class, but students work together with a partner. Partnerships are high with med and med with low. I can then have those partnerships work together in a group of four. We play Jeopardy or Hollywood squares with questions from our math, LA, and science.

I implement some of Kagan's cooperative learning structures. If you are unfamiliar with those, you can search for ppts that will walk you through some of his activities. Vocabulary with any part of the curriculum is essential.

I don't know what age level you teach. I'm upper elementary and they like competition. We play for points with boys against girls, teacher vs students, odds to evens.

Keeping it lively and upbeat will have a positive impact on what your students are reviewing and retaining for the test.

There is a thread here on proteacher, "Fun ways to review." I use the red checker/black checker idea and Sink or Swim.

Good luck!
Wendy 31 is offline   Reply With Quote