Fifth Grade

A Little Help, Please?

>

MrTall

A Little Help, Please?
Old 04-18-2011, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello All,

Next week I am to teach a 25-30 minute literacy based lesson for a new teaching position and I am just a little stuck with what to do right now since I am basically "going in blind."

Does anyone have any ideas or previous lessons that they've used that are quick, interactive, and fun to do for that short of a timeframe?

MrTall is offline   Reply With Quote

SnackNapRead

Old 04-18-2011, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hey! Long time no see! Glad to see you back in the teaching ring!

Not sure exactly what you are looking for - any type of reading lesson? I just did some short and fun minute mysteries that got the kids to infer...
SnackNapRead is offline   Reply With Quote

MrTall

Old 04-19-2011, 06:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hello!

I am just looking for anything that is literacy based. It doesn't have to be anything specific, really. If you had ANY suggestions at all, that would be fine. It doesn't even have to be related to what the students in that particular class are doing.

Thanks! :-)

kmob

Plot Diagramming
Old 04-19-2011, 06:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

What about doing plot diagramming using a simple story like "3 Little Pigs"...and then have them diagram the book they are reading in small groups. I've noticed that when you go into an interview they like to see something that can be used to fit any group. You could easily make it either hands on or incorporate technology as well.

Good luck
kmob is offline   Reply With Quote

MrTall

Old 04-19-2011, 09:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I really like that idea! Thank you very much for sharing it with me!

kmob

more for plot
Old 04-19-2011, 11:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

If you need some ideas to get started, or a good handout, see this thread... http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...t=plot+diagram I love aj's Heartbeat Sheet and we use it quite often in my classroom. When I start off I use The Three Little Pigs story that I found on youtube (there is one that is told with words and pictures and isn't too babyish) and we do it together. I was observed during this and it was a HUGE hit with the admin. Good luck Mr. Tall, let us know how you do.

MrTall

Old 04-19-2011, 11:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Questions:
So, as you're reading through the story, are you gradually filling in this map?
Or, do you read through the story and then go back and read through the story?

Thoughts:
I found an inference lesson online that used the book Smoky Night by Eve Bunting and I was going to introduce inferences, use an anchor chart for discussion purposes, and summarizing. I was also going to give some real-life examples and then start in to the book. I wouldn't be able to read the entire book, give the short time-frame, but then I was going to model how I inference with the students using specific language during the reading. After I had read about 10-12 pages, or I had got close enough to my "Quit!" time, then I would go back to the anchor charts and summarize the lesson and discuss what I did and how I used it.

I think this one would be fairly decent, maybe? I am just unsure because I want it to be entertaining for the students and also show the administration that I am a quality teacher who can produce a short minilesson that is concise and to the point.

I absolutely love your ideas, don't get me wrong, I am even unsure about my own idea...hah...

MrTall

Old 04-19-2011, 12:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

So, after re-reading this over a little more, I am basically going to flip a coin between these two lesson ideas....

But then, a question came to my mind...

Are administrators looking for something FUN or EDUCATIONAL where the students are actually learning something?
I read a blog where a teacher in the UK had been through a series of interviews and was constantly told that her lessons were not "risky" enough or not "exciting" enough. I think that with my personality I SHOULD be able to make a lesson seem exciting...right?! Hmmmmmmmmmmm................... .........

I wouldn't want to ask my administration here at this school because frankly, I think they're a bunch of twits.

That is all.

kmob

more thoughts
Old 04-19-2011, 03:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I think your lesson sounds good. I think the issue is do you want to start something you can't finish? Do you know if they have set literature at this school or can teachers choose? I think a good teacher can make anything both fun and educational.

I've done the 3 Little Pigs 2 x's now and the first time we filled in as we went and the 2nd after. I personally think a mix would be good...stopping once all the intro. stuff is done and then finish the story.

That being said, inferencing is a very important skill that not everyone is good at teaching, so if you could bring home that you can help children understand a difficult concept then I think you are golden.

Hope I helped